AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Stoke not emitting correctly from PRTSurface

Hi guys,

Check out the attached scene - Stoke doesn’t emit correctly. It looks like it’s connected to the magmas on the PRTSurface distribution object not updating correctly.

Scene:
dropbox.com/s/9c2uk8o39kpnw … 1.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

The issue you are seeing is caused by the difference between Viewport particle display and Render Time particle display.
The same can happen with PFlow if you are not careful :wink:

Both PRT Surface objects are set to 30% display. So the pattern on PRT Surf you see in the viewport is based off 30% of the Seeding points. However, when you simulate in Stoke, Stoke is forcing Render Mode (as if a renderer was fired), which causes the pattern it sees to be based on 100% seeding points, and the two are totally misaligned in time and space!

You have two options:

• Check the Stoke option “Emit From Viewport Particles” to match what you see in the viewport
  • Change the Seeding PRT Surface to 100% viewport display. This will produce a different visible pattern in the viewport, but that would match what Stoke was simulating when “Emit From Viewport Particles” was unchecked!

To see it even better, I set the Life expectancy to only 1 frame, and disabled the Wind influence. Then I set the Stoke display to Velocities, with a Magma Color set to White-Color to invert the colors on the Stoke. I also tried “Use Seed Count As Rate” to emit exactly one Stoke particle per source particle.
This gave me a very clear display of the two matching perfectly when either the Viewport OR the Render settings were aligned…

P.S. I loved this setup! Good job!

Ah, nice! Didn’t look there because I totally didn’t expect it to also affect the timing :slight_smile: Thanks!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences