AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Color from wirecolor when emitting from geometry

Hi guys,
I just tried to emit from geometry, and I was surprised that when I check the color channel, the particles didn’t pick up the color from the geometry wire color. Is that a bug or a feature request? Stoke 2.1.1.59446.

Thanks!

It is kind of As Designed, but I can ask if it could be changed.

The Wirecolor is used as a stop-gap in some cases where there is not Color channel, but it is not a “real” channel.
For example (Krakatoa MX):

• Create a Teapot
  • Create a PRT Volume from it - it will show the wirecolor of the object.
  • Add a Magma to the PRT Volume
  • Add a flow that is InputChannel:Color–>Multiply(0.5)–>OUT:Color

RESULT: Error

CURRENT Modifier: Magma Channel "Color" Not Available in this PRT Object: | ID: 1 | Property Name: channelName |

The Color channel that the PDV shows is assigned to the particles after no Color channel came up the stack, and no Material was found after the stack evaluation. So that data is generated by the PRT Volume last because there was no other data to use. If you save that to PRT files or render, it will be there.

So if your Stoke was emitting from a PRT Volume made from a mesh, and Color channel was checked, it would use that wirecolor-as-color value.
However, when you pick a geometry object as the emitter in Stoke, you are technically asking for the VertexColor channel (Mapping Channel 0!) when the Acquire Color channel is checked. Since that channel does not exist by default, the mesh will emit with [0,0,0] color values. If you need the color from a mesh, you can add a VertexPaint modifier, Flood-Fill the whole mesh with the same color as the wireframe, and then your Stoke will emit the desired color.

I can see how emitting the wirecolor would be useful, let’s see what the developers think…

I see - yes, taking the vert color does make sense, but getting the wirecolor when the vert color is empty would be great :slight_smile:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences