AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

License needed for PRT import only?

Hi,

We are planning to use Krakatoa to import an rpc sequence from Realflow, and then mesh it with Frost.

Does that mean we need a license for Krakatoa MX, Krakatoa Render and Frost, even though Krakatoa is only loading the particle sequence, not rendering?

Thanks for any info on this!

Well, there are a few file formats that Frost can read natively:
thinkboxsoftware.com/frost-p … e-formats/

I had to dig into what an RPC sequence actually was, but it was mentioned that it’s not supported by the BIN readers. I’m going to ask Bobo if he can provide some advice here since he’s much more knowledgeable with workflows than I am.

No, you should need only one license of Frost on a workstation, and no Krakatoa license. Frost can actually read all formats that Krakatoa PRT Loader supports, so it should be possible to pick the RPCs directly in Frost and mesh them. But if you need to massage the data with Magma modifiers etc., then a Krakatoa PRT Loader would be useful. You are allowed to use a Krakatoa PRT Loader as a source of a Frost without a Krakatoa license.
The only case a Krakatoa PRT Loader requires a license is when the PRT Loader is used as the source via the 3ds Max IParticleObjectExt interface (a very rudimentary least-common-denominator particle interface that most native 3ds Max systems support). Very few 3rd party plugins implement that and could use the PRT Loader as a source and would look for a license.
If a PRT Stream is used between Krakatoa and Frost, there will be no additional license requirement. Once the scene is saved on a workstation with a valid Frost license, it can be rendered on any number of network render nodes without additional licenses.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences