AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Krakatoa Shaders

Hey guys,

Can someone give me a hint, what shaders can be used with Krakatoa and which not.
Right now i’m struggling with realflow and at the end i want to render
water / splashes and of course foam.
So water mesh will be rendered with mental ray
( But here is my first question) I have read that some guys have also rendered their
water completely with Krakatoa - how is that possible?
As far as i know, only the standard shaders are able to be used right?

Next the water splashes and foam. Please, just take a look at that image.

What i want to create is the splashes and the foam ( which are mostly white shaded )
So shall i render with the voxel mode and just use a white color ( no shader at all )
But would be the best approach to get a decent look.

Your comments are apprecited.

cheers

naik

On my last project at PF, we used a Krakatoa white particles pass rendered in Particle (point) mode for the white part of the splashes, composited with a V-Ray water pass for the rest. It looked pretty good, but it requires some 2D compositing magic.
Kind of like the Frost demo image: thinkboxsoftware.com/news/20 … katoa.html

On Twilight:New Moon, we used Voxel Rendering for the white foam of the water and it worked, too:
youtube.com/watch?v=yMr0d5qs … page#t=62s

For the next version of Krakatoa, we might have a better workflow, but with 1.6.1, your best bet is to render the particles for the white caps/splashes using white particles and the rest in your rendered of choice.

Thanks for the fast reply Bobo.

So maybe a combination of Particle Mode and Voxel Mode will give me a good result.
Am i right that in the Voxel mode i can not give out render elements? That’s really a pity :wink:

cheers

naik

You are right, it is on the list of things to fix for Krakatoa 2.0.

Thanks for the confirmation Bobo.

best regards

naik

Is this still the best method to get the white water to reflect in the main water render? IE using krakatoa atmospherics.

Right now it is. However, we might make it easier in the near future. What raytracer are you using?

At the moment its Vray but there is also talk of Redshift in the future.

Check your Private Messages…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences