Bitemporal filter questions

Discussion and Support of Awake, the Fusion plug-in pack
Chad

Bitemporal filter questions

Postby Chad » Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 am

The Bitemporal filter, is that 1D or 3D? I assume 1D since there's no range, but that also makes me ask, is it sampling 3 frames only?

bmckinnon

Re: Bitemporal filter questions

Postby bmckinnon » Fri May 22, 2009 11:26 am

Hey Chad,

At the moment it is only working with 3 frames. I've only added support for 3 frames since there is no motion estimation involved, so any moving objects will start pulling from an invalid source. If you're interested I can look at extending it to more frames.

Brian!

bmckinnon

Postby bmckinnon » Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 am

And it is only working in 1D, but you make it 3D by just putting a normal bilateral filter first. It's a bit of an approximation, but it seems to work well.

Brian!

Chad

Postby Chad » Fri May 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Yeah, I get the approximation thing, for severe blurring it becomes less accurate, but I understand.

The motion estimation... I can see why you wouldn't want to have to make your own motion estimation, but you could add inputs to allow us to supply our own, either with per pixel vectors (as RGB) or a transform matrix. Probably way out of scope, but would be a faster shortcut than doing your own optical flow estimation.

Anyway, just wanted to know what the tool was doing so I could test it effectively.

Chad

Postby Chad » Tue May 26, 2009 9:48 am

Any way we could limit the frames processed so that you don't sample over cuts? I'm thinking something along the lines of Re:Vision's "Cut A/B/C" control. Basically you animate a state for the tool with can be A, B, or C. Temporal samples are only taken between like states, so if a frame is in state A, and the previous frame is in state B, then that B frame is not used in the A frame filtering.

- Chad

bmckinnon

Postby bmckinnon » Tue May 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey Chad,

The cut control sounds interesting. Could be a good way to enforce where the sample is coming from.

The motion vector does make sense. I'll look into adding that.

Brian!

Chad

Postby Chad » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Christoffer Hulusjo implemented the transform matrix into his temporal median filter, you can ask him how that's working out. Wouldn't be per-pixel, but would be way faster.

Return to “Thinkbox Software - Awake”