Motion Depth Error??

Discussion and Support of Awake, the Fusion plug-in pack
ddeaco

Motion Depth Error??

Postby ddeaco » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:54 am

Hi,

I'm working with the motion depth plug-in which is working great, but it seems running into a problem rendering some frames.

The console is printing error message 'MotionDepthBlur Error : Bad Allocation'. I've run into the memory error problems in the past but we have just got a new Intel i7 workstation with 12Gb of ram running the 64bit version of awake.

I'm rendering images from lightwave3D, saving them via exr trader. Do the motion vectors need to be saved at 16 or 32 bit? Also I'm unsure on what the min and max values for the vectors should be. By default they are set to 0.0 to 1.0, would -1.0 to 1.0 make more sense?

One other thing that seems to be unrelated to my problem but may be a bug. The normalization option in the depth of field section. I have found that turning it fixes any problems with holes in the alpha channel, this is even if I set the 'Max Blur size' to zero. How come this isn't the default option? I only found that it fixed the alpha issue but accident.

Regards
David Deacon
Red Star Studio

myurick

Re: Motion Depth Error??

Postby myurick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi David,

The motion vectors should be fine as either 16 or 32 bit. I'm not sure offhand what would be causing the misallocation. What kind of image resolution are you working with?

I've typically been using a Velocity pass rendered with VRay in 3dsMax to generate the motion data in an exr to use with the plugin. In that case, I don't normalize the vectors into a range, and I apply them as is. They can range from well into the negative to well into the positive, much outside the range [-1.0,1.0]. If you're normalizing/clamping your motion vectors into a 0.0 to 1.0 range, you may want to try checking the "Clamp Velocity (Range 0.0 to 1.0)" option. This may require you to apply a fair bit of scaling with the Scaling slider before you see much of a blur effect.

As for the alpha fixing with the depth blur, my understanding is that is what the normalization is intended to do. It's probably just an oversight as to why it isn't defaulted to be on, since it's defaulted to be on in the DepthBlur plugin. I'll have to double check that to make sure there isn't any other undesirable interaction with the MotionBlur when it's on, but otherwise I don't think changing that default will be a problem in a future release.

Return to “Thinkbox Software - Awake”