AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Geometry Mode Support for Vray Proxies

I think I asked about this ages ago but not sure it went anywhere or just got lost in the shuffle of release.

Is there any possibility to get Frost to support Vray Proxies or fR proxies (gees I guess MR has proxies too) at render time? Certainly think Vray Proxies would be most important as the user base is quite large. I am not sure what is takes code wise (like forget it too much work) but it sure would be useful.

It is indeed on the ToDo list.
Not sure when (or if) it will see the light of day, but I admit it would be very useful.

Well lets just hope the sun gets a little closer to earth… and maybe take that pesky moon away… and possibly fire off a large fusion type drive to stop the earth’s rotation so that it is perpetually always daytime in Vancouver :sunglasses:

You need to perform the same operation, but target Winnipeg. That’s where the Frost magic happens… :slight_smile:

hey, diging up 2years old post but, does anything changed in that matter?

im looking for good alternative for multiscatter and was thinking about frost.

if it doesnt work with vray proxies, how does it handles RAM on normal objects?
will it be able to render milions of instnaces?:slight_smile: like grass etc?

If it presents the objects to max as a native instance then the latest versions of Vray (3.2+) should convert them into Vray Instances automatically.

It does not. It simply creates one large mesh and hopes you have enough RAM. It was NOT designed to replace dedicated solutions like Multiscatter and does not support VRay proxies at all at this point. Frost was primarily designed to do blob meshes, and the replacement of each particle with a custom geometry was just a bonus mode. It was added mainly because we (Frantic Films VFX) needed to render facing particles with CSV files coming from Maya for falling snow shots in the second “X-Files” movie back in the day… : :stuck_out_tongue:

However, customers using Krakatoa and VRay in the same pipeline asked us to expose a Krakatoa API that would let any 3rd party developer read our particle streams directly from any PRT object (e.g. Krakatoa PRT Loader, PRT Volume, PRT Surface, PRT Hair, PRT FumeFX, PRT Source, PRT Maker, Stoke PRT Field etc.). This would support Magma, KrakatoaDelete, and all deformation modifiers directly from the Modifier Stack without saving to disk. Some of these customers intended to write their own custom plugins that would pass some of that channel data (Position, Orientation, Scale etc.) to VRay together with VRay Proxy instances to do what you are asking of Frost.
We exposed this new API in Krakatoa MX 2.4, so we expect others to come up with their own solutions around our streams system while we are busy making a stand-alone version of Frost in the shape of Sequoia.

Interesting, thanks! Currently we do not present the objects as native instances, but it sounds like we should give it a try.

thanks for veeeeeeery specific answer :slight_smile:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences