AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Redshift // Skip frame // Render faster

Hi,

In the redshift plugin for houdini (and i guess softimage 3ds and maya) there is an option to “skip rendered frame”

I come from Royal render and in RR you can use Skip rendered frame to render really faster because the batch render don’t need to reload the scene at every X frames.
Now Redshift support this (create a zerobyte file) so thechnically Deadline should support this by sending the job on each node to “all frames”

How can we get that working ???

Hi,
I think you are asking for 2 things here:

1. BatchMode for Houdini (KSO - Keep Scene Open) between frames? (Yes, we already have a KSO/‘BatchMode’ for XSI, 3dsMax and Maya)
  2. Add a “Skip Existing Rendered Frames” checkbox option, but to which app? Houdini?, 3dsMax?, Maya?, Redshift Standalone?

Please could you clarify. Thanks!

Hello,
So I was asking to KSO for houdini :wink:
And by the way a “Skip Existing Rendered Frames” could be interesting but not really mandatory.

Cheers :wink:

Thanks. I’ll log the request.

Hi,
Do you have any progress on KSO for redshift for houdini ?

Hi there,
Currently, no progress to speak of, although I do believe we are working on some other elements of Houdini job submission at the moment. So, more news on that front shortly. I think we would probably want to bed those job submission changes down first, before we look what if anything could be done on the app/execution side of keeping Houdini open between tasks. Incidentally, I think this hasn’t had much demand to date, as most users bake to an external file and render via Mantra or another standalone renderer outside of Houdini.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer, while I’m on it, on deadline 9 there’s an annoying redshift alert when we submit a redshift job on houdini about concurent task even if we don’t have concurent tasks :wink:

This is already logged for dev team to fix. Thanks!

I wasn’t aware that KSO is not active with Houdini as well, but then again I haven’t rendered much with Houdini so far.
In this case having multiple frames per task would be more beneficial right? ie 1-100 frame range, 5, 10 or similar frames per task?

Right, but the more faster the renderers are, the more baking is obsolete as it takes to much time compared without that.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences