AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline Feature Blog - At A Glance! (Updated April 6, 2018)

@eamsler from 12/2023: James’ list has been an awesome resource for all these years, but we’ve moved blog posts over to the AWS Thinkbox Help Centre to make it easier for you to search and find what you’re looking for. We’ve also fixed some links in those. List is here:
https://awsthinkbox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/9816673657111-Blog-Posts

In case you missed any, below you will find a categorized, at-a-glance list of Feature Blog articles. Enjoy!

[size=150]Administration[/size]

Deployment
To Affinity And Beyond: How to configure Deadline’s affinity settings for CPU and GPU. [8.0, 9.0]
Advanced Database Features: Replication and Sharding: Configuring the database for increased robustness and performance of the farm. [9.0]
Deadline Database Backup Strategy: How to set up both one-time and automatic Deadline database backups. [7.0, 8.0, 9.0]
Looking for Work - Prepping Your Farm for Job Submission: Types of Job Submitters and how to install them. [8.0]
Manually Manipulating MongoDB M…Minstallations?: Manually installing and configuring MongoDB.
Running Deadline in Containers - Part 2: How to run Deadline on Docker. [8.0]
Running Deadline in Containers - Part 1: How to run Deadline on Docker. [8.0]
Getting to the Cloud: A Primer: Using Deadline on the cloud. [8.0]
Limited Resources: Managing resources with Limits. [8.0]
Installing Deadline from the Command Line: How to install Deadline from the command line. [8.0]
Side-by-side Upgrade: Not As Scary As It Sounds!: Deploying Deadline 8 along-side prior versions. [8.0]
To Upgrade or not to Upgrade?: Using Deadline’s auto-update system. [8.0]
Deadline On Demand: Everything You Need to Know!: Setting up Usage Based Licensing. [8.0]
Traditional Floating vs Usage Based Licensing: An explanation of Usage Based Licensing. [8.0]

Operations
New! Licensing on AWS Portal: Learn about Usage Based Licensing and Bring Your Own Licensing. [10.0]
Render Node Performance Not Up To Snuff? Time for a Physical!: Using Deadline in conjunction with MAXON (R) Cinebench (R) to approximate individual render node performance. [9.0, 10.0]
Creating Limits Just Got Easier!: How to use License Limit and Resource Limit. [10.0]
Picking the Right AWS Instance Types for You, Part 2: Follow-up to Part 1 covering how to pick the right instance type. [10.0]
Picking the Right AWS Instance Types for You: Tips for selecting an AWS virtual machine hardware type. [10.0]
Dynamic Licensing: How to optimize licensing with Deadline’s new Dynamic Licensing Mode. [10.0]
Asset File Transfer, Caching, and Storage in AWS: New Deadline features for transferring assets to and from Amazon Web Services. [10.0]
Keeping It Clean: A look at Deadline’s Pending Job Scan, House Cleaning, and Repository Repair operations. [9.0]
Job Scheduling Order: Understanding and configuring how Deadline Slaves choose their Jobs. [9.0]
The Secondary Pool: How to make use of the Secondary Pool setting. [6.1, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0]
Staying Up to Date with Email Notifications: How to set up and use e-mail notifications. [7.0, 8.0, 9.0]
You Will Be Assimilated - An Auto-configuring Render Farm: How to use Deadline’s Auto Configuration feature to manage settings. [8.0]
Managing Your Farm Machines with Remote Control: Using the Remote Control feature to control Deadline applications and host machines. [8.0, 8.1]
I Get By with a Little Help from my… Thinkbox Support Team: How to best utilize Thinkbox Support.
Forge Your Own Path: Path Mapping Part 2: Path mapping assets, using regular expressions, and using Regions. [8.0]
Sandboxing: Answers to Questions You Didn’t Know You Had: Understanding Deadline Sandboxing. [8.0]
Redundancy Plans are Redundant: Adding failover to Deadline components. [8.0]
Auxiliary Files: The Basics: Basics of auxiliary files and how Deadline handles them. [8.0]
Zipped Up and RARing To Go - Exploring the Archives: Configuring automated job archival. [8.0]
Improving Performance in Deadline: Tuning Deadline for better performance. [7.2]
Customizing Script Menus - Clean Up Your Monitor!: How to organize the Script menus. [7.2, 8.0]
Zabbix Monitoring - How Busy Is Your Farm?: Pushing Deadline statistics into Zabbix. [8.0]
Power Management: It’s Not Just About Being Green: Deadline’s Power Management feature. [7.0]
Mapping It Out: Configuring Windows mapped drives. [6.2]
Concurrent Tasks vs. Multi-Slave Rendering: Using concurrent Tasks and multi-Slave rendering. [7.2, 8.0]
Groups, Pools & You: Assign Pools and Groups to Slaves. [7.2]
Web Service Got A Divorce, Enjoying Independence: Deadline’s recently-separated Web Service. [8.0]
Deadline’s Secret Weapon: Deadline’s command-line features. [7.2, 8.0]
Can I Render? Let Me Check My Schedule!: Specify when Slaves can and cannot process jobs. [7.2]
Deadline Finds Work for Idle Workstations: Using Deadline’s Idle Detection feature. [7.2]
Regulating Network Traffic with Slave Throttling: Limit the farm’s load on the file server. [7.2]
Path Mapping: The Basics: Fundamentals of Deadline’s Path Mapping feature. [7.2]

Security
Securing the Remote Connection Server: How to secure communications between remote clients and the local farm. [10.0]
SSL and Deadline: How Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is used in Deadline. [9.0, 10.0]
Locking Down Your Farm: Three major security features that have been added in Deadline 9 and 10. [9.0, 10.0]
The Pleasant and Pliable Proxy Panacea: Using Deadline’s Proxy Server. [8.0]
Locking Down the Render Farm: Limiting user access to Deadline features. [7.2]

[size=150]Usage[/size]

Application Support
New! Post Processing and Project Management: Automatically create videos from rendered images and upload them for review. [10.0]
AWS Portal, In Action!: How to render with Maya and Arnold in AWS using Deadlne’s AWS Portal. [10.0]
Managing V-Ray Swarm Renders With Deadline: Leveraging the power of V-Ray Swarm with Deadline. [9.0, 10.0]
Maya To Arnold Export Workflow: Exporting a scene from Maya to be rendered in standalone Arnold. [9.0]
New Application Support in Deadline 9: Altus, Cinebench, Keyshot, Episode, Silhouette, Autopano Video, and Redshift Standalone. [9.0]
Asset Caching in Autodesk Maya using Deadline: Maya Local Asset Caching in Deadline 8.1. [8.1]
Power Tools - Autodesk 3ds Max: Deadline’s support for 3ds Max. [8.0]
Deadline and Cinema 4D: Deadline’s support for Cinema 4D. [8.0, 8.1]
V-Ray DBR: What does the B stand for?: Deadline’s support for V-Ray DBR. [6.2]
Distributing Microstation Workflows with Deadline: Deadline’s support for Microstation. [7.2]

Draft
Annotating the Draft Way: New Draft Annotation feature. [8.1]
Hungry for Draft? Here are the Top Ten Draft Cookbook Recipes!: Top 10 useful Draft functionalities. [8.0]
Spend Your Time Making Art, Not QuickTimes: An introduction to Deadline’s Quick Draft feature. [7.2, 8.0]

Jigsaw
Jigsaw: The Missing Piece of the Puzzle: Rendering frames in smaller pieces with Jigsaw. [7.2, 8.0]

Jobs
The Final Deletion: How to un-delete a Job, and how Deadline manages deleted Jobs. [6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0]
Share the Love and the Jobs: How to transfer a Job to another Repository with the Job Transferring plugin. [10.0]
Render Time Management: Making effective use of Task timeouts. [9.0]
A Prescription for a Cron-ic Condition: How to run “cron job” commands (Scheduled Jobs) in Deadline. [9.0]
Be Environment Friendly with your Jobs!: How to control the environment that jobs run in. [9.0]
Extra! Extra! Read all about Extra Info!: How to use Deadline’s ExtraInfo fields.
When Will This Job Start Rendering? It Depends…: About Deadline’s dependency system. [7.2, 8.0]
Frame List Formatting Options: Ways of specifying which frames to process. [7.2]

Launcher
Blastoff With The Launcher: An overview of Deadline Launcher and its features. [8.0]

Monitor
New! A ‘Find’ Interface for the New Millennium: Deadline’s powerful ‘Find’ interface. [9.0, 10.0]
Why Isn’t My Job Rendering? Let’s Find Out!: How to use the ‘Find Render Candidates…’ feature. [10.0]
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words: How to use graphs in Deadline Monitor to view data at a higher level. [6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0]
Recreating the Old Job Monitor: How to customize Monitor to look like the Job Monitor from Deadline 5. [9.0]
Keeping it Together with Job Batches: How to visually group related jobs in Monitor. [8.0]
Death, Taxes, and Render Errors: Investigating Job errors with Monitor. [8.0]
Monitor Options - Styles: Changing Monitor’s colors and fonts.
Monitor Options - User Settings: Notification and authentication settings in Monitor. [8.0]
Monitor Options - Deadline with a View: Using a custom image viewer in Monitor. [8.0]
Tweaks for Better Usability - The Monitor Options: Adjusting Deadline Monitor to your preferences. [8.0]
Interface Customization: Make a Layout Tailored to Your Needs: Creating custom Monitor layouts. [7.2, 8.0]

[size=150]Customization[/size]
Scripting - Create a Custom Monitor Submitter: A walk-through of how the SilhouetteFX ™ Monitor submitter was created for Deadline 9.0. [9.0]
Your Code Here: A Brief Outline of Deadline Entry Points: A list of the places you can add your own code to Deadline. [8.0, 9.0]
For Your Consideration… Event Plugins: What Event Plugins are and how to author them.
Plug it in, Plug it in - Creating New Plugins: How to write custom Job plugins. [8.0]
Hello Monitor - An Introduction to Monitor Scripting: Learn how to write Monitor scripts. [7.2, 8.0]
Streamlining Job Submission with Sanity Checks: Adding custom sanity checks to job submissions. [7.2]

2 Likes

Much appreciated!

Hi All,

If there is a topic you would like to see covered in a future Deadline Feature Blog posting, feel free to suggest it here. This could be a new topic or more detail on a prior topic.

Also, if you find any errors in the listing at the top of this thread, just send me a private message.

Hey James,

deadline.thinkboxsoftware.com/f … ob-monitor

I was wondering something about this, namely is there a way to get the old drag and drop arbitrary jobs into a panel?

basically because I know we can get fairly granular with filters but not arbitrary jobs unless you use the search field for the regexid’s etc… basically I’m looking for a way to get a custom list of jobs without having to search every job first, hence the drag and drop request… btw, I know we can also move them to a custom batch job as well, but then the entire list is changing for everyone else…

cheers :slight_smile:

chris

Hey Chris,

I think you’ve identified most of the mechanisms. The only other way I can think of is to add a unique keyword to an ExtraInfo field of the desired jobs and then filter on that. I like the drag and drop idea though.

James

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences