AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Octane Standalone Monitor Submitter Never Finishes in 9.0

Hi -

I’m trying to get some Octane standalone renders running via the Deadline Monitor submit script for Octane and I find they submit ok but then hang and never complete.

Looking at the logs I see that the Octane command it runs references a script “DeadlineOctane.lua” under the job’s /tmp/Thinkbox/ dir. There’s no such script there, and I don’t find it anywhere under our DeadlineRepository9 dir or getting generated in the OctaneSubmission.py or Octane.py files.

I haven’t updated past 9.0.0.18 yet, but I don’t see anything about the Octane standalone in the recent release notes.

Is our deadline install missing something, or am I? =)

Thanks,
Matt

This was an issue in our build system which I have just fixed internally. See attached missing file. This would have affected all builds of 9.0 - 9.0.3.0 (fix should hopefully ship with SP4). Just unzip and place file in: “<your_repo>/plugins/Octane/”

DeadlineOctane.lua.zip (4.65 KB)

Thanks Mike, that was it.

I’m still getting something really odd, though. When I run the render through deadline, the task picks up and I see Octane start in the render log, but it never finishes and never generates output.

However, if I copy the command from the render log, ssh into the render machine as the user that runs the Deadline slave, and run the command manually, it completes correctly in about 5 minutes.

On the deadline-executed process, “top” reports the process running up around 100%, even 18 minutes after I started it.

The one thing I can see that feels like it may be involved is that when I run it manually, an Octane GUI window pops up and I can see the progress loading the orbx and rendering. Maybe when it’s running via deadline it’s hanging up at some point since there’s nowhere for that gui to go in this context?

I’m at a bit of a loss for how to debug this because the Octane renderer doesn’t seem to have any useful console logging, even with -v given, and manually running the command Deadline’s running doesn’t reproduce it. If anyone’s got any ideas about what I could tweak in how Deadline is running the command to dig further on this, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Interesting…can you try the following:

1. See attached for updated Octane.py plugin. Can you backup your existing file and give this one a whirl? (I would also update to 9.0.3.0 just to rule that out as well ~in which case, make sure you re-apply this patch after updating to 9.0.3.0).

2. If you haven’t already, can you enable Slave verbose logging as well:
    docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ation-data

3. Can you send through a Slave log once the above things are in place. I’d like to just get this issue into context and the updated plugin above has debug logging enabled now, so we should be able to see a lot more.

Finally, are you running your Deadline Slaves via Launcher as a service here? Some apps hate being run as a service, After Effects being top of the list.

Octane.py.zip (2.7 KB)

Just to close this one off (hopefully!) – after recent Deadline and Octane updates a test with one of our recent scenes is not reproducing this. I don’t see anything different in the Deadline plugin so maybe something on the Octane side has been fixed. I’ll follow up on it if I get another reproducible case but seems like it’s gone away.

ok, thanks for the feedback. We can always look again if this issue raises his head in the future.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences