AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Render elements in Vray Buffer Not saving in 9.0 SP3

Hi,

I’m not sure what the problem is here, but we are switching to using the Vray Frame Buffer instead of the 3dsmax one and I can’t get it to output any render elements.

Vray Frame Buffer is enabled.
Split channels is Enabled and an exr specified as the output path.
Render elements are enabled, and the path is correct.
All elements are active on the job:

The job completes, but I only get the RGB and Alpha pass from the split render.

These are the Deadline submission options:

sub.JPG

Any ideas? I think I’ve tried every tickbox now to get it to work!

Thanks

Are you running 9.0.3.0? This is a known bug which just got fixed this week and I can send you a quick patch fix until SP4 is released.

Hi Mike,

Running 9.0.1.1, but this is the first time I’ve tried the Vray Frame buffer since updating from v8 so not sure if it has worked or not.

Thanks!

See attached for patch that should only be applied over the top of 9.0.3.0. Another customer reported this fixed the same issue for them.
9.0.3.0-RE-patch.zip (165 KB)

Thanks Mike, I’ll update and give it a test.

Hi Mike,

I’ve upgraded to 9.0.4.0 and i’m still having trouble getting render elements out.

The sp4 update solved the problem of saving out the Vray VFB elements through Deadline normally, but if a tile or jigsaw render job is sent then it doesn’t output anything.

I have attached a test file that I am using.

Steps done on my end:

Vray VFB is enabled with split channels selected, Render Elements are active - Sent via SMTD with Tiles set as FULL FRAME rendering = Success, everything renders and outputs all render elements.

Vray VFB is enabled with split channels selected, Render Elements are active - Sent via SMTD with Tiles set as SINGLE FRAME MULTI REGION Jigsaw rendering with a split of 2x2 = Failure, nothing is saved out (I don’t even see the tiles being created, but it is happily rendering them). Draft Assembly job errors out on missing passes.

I’ve tried changing the pathing options, but nothing seems to work. I would assume if it outputs properly as a normal Deadline render, then they would be set correctly.

Any ideas?
teapots.zip (345 KB)

Could you zip up and send us the 3dsmax & DTA job log reports? At the bottom of the 3dsMax job log reports, are the locally rendered files failing to save back to the network filer? If so, disable “Local Rendering” before job submission in SMTD:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ptions-tab
or via Monitor post-job-submission, 3dsmax settings -> Local Rendering = False
Alternatively, try rendering using non-Jigsaw tile rendering, ie: don’t use the “Multi-Region” tile rendering, but rather the “Single Frame Tile Rendering” option. I’ll do some tests here locally.

Hi Mike,

Job logs attached (SMTD/Render/DTA error)

Local rendering was off for some reason, but with it enabled, it only created the output tiles for the Alpha & RGB_colour (and these 2 passes get assembled without error)

Tested with normal tile rendering through Deadline and it still does the same, no extra elements.
Logs.zip (9.48 KB)

Could I see the 3dsMax job log report for the first task when one of your Deadline Slaves first picks up this job. Essentially, I’m after the longer 3dsMax log report you get from Deadline, when 3dsMax is validated and booted up. The 3dsMax job log report you sent me was for taskId:3, where 3dsMax is already started up, so its missing a load of info which only happens at startup which I think will help resolve this issue.

At a guess, I think it is a pathing issue here, as this is working fine for me here. Note, how your RGB_color and Alpha are prefixed with “TestC” whilst all the RE’s have: “regelese_”. It would be good to see your setting here in your SMTD, as this is probably the issue: docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … ng-options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help, I played around with a few pathing options and got it to save the elements out properly.

I still can’t get it to output on 9.0.1.1 with those same settings though, but I’ll be updating the farm to sp4 soon so not to worry about it.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences