AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Render element with vray frame buffer not saved in deadline 8

Hi,

with latest version of Vray 3.60.01, the render element are not saved when submited by deadline. It works locally. Do you have any idea why. I saw the other thread about deadline 9 sp4 but I’m with deadline 8 and I was not planning to upgrade. Do you know what could be the cause.

I notice you are running a as yet un-released version of V-Ray (3.6 = nightly build). I suspect there might be an issue in this V-Ray version. If you downgrade and use the latest public version is everything ok?

I will have to try to reinstall the old version on my farm when I can find some time to do it… I know chaosgroup added an option to save render element in separate folder but I don’t know since when exactly. I tried with this option on and off and it didn’t save the elements either way.

Finally 3.6 was just officially released today. Do you want me to try with the official version from today?

So I just installed the official V-Ray 3.60.01 released today with the same result. I tried different pathing options with always the same result.

I just found out that with the official release, if i uncheck separate folder in V-Ray it will work and save the elements! So there must be something conflicting with deadline with that new option in the V-Ray VFB. At least I will be able to work by unckecking it.

With Chaosgroup I discovered that submitting via the monitor (3ds max submission) with “Separate folder” checked is working (saving each element in separate folders). So it must be some bug in the submission script.

Curses. Well, I’ll add it to the dev system and tag Mike on that guy. We just solved an RE issue in Maya the other week. :slight_smile:

Chaosgroup asked me to forward you this info to help you fix the problem:
“OK, here is what we found. The render submission script stores the entire render output in a temporary folder in a correct order (With Separate folder enabled - all elements in separate directory ), but the problem comes when those files need to be moved to the destination folder. The script is not able to find the files inside the those folders, which makes the destination folder empty.”

Thanks for the info! If you disable “Local Rendering” under the Options tab in SMTD, that should fix you for now, whilst we fix this small issue. Thanks!

Ok good to know thanks!

Checking the local rendering option doesn’t work for me.

In fact I don’t know why but suddenly even unchecking the separate folder option doesn’t save the element at all anymore…

You are supposed to UNcheck the Local Rendering option.

When Local Rendering is checked, the output is first saved to the temp Deadline folder on the Slave. Once the rendering is done, the Slave tries to copy these files to the final destination, multiple times if necessary. This is to avoid writing directly over the network, and failing due to some network congestion (if you have 1000+ nodes trying to save at the same time, it could happen). However, in some edge cases, it appears that the file names saved locally by the renderer do not match the file names the Slave expected to find, so the Slave fails to copy them over. This is usually because VRay inserted additional delimiters, or otherwise modified the file name. It can get even worse when doing Tile/Jigsaw rendering as the file names become even more complex.

With Local Rendering unchecked, the renderer saves straight to the network location specified in the render dialog. So no copying is required, and whatever is defined in the render dialog should end up saved in the final destination folder. In that case, VRay is the one saving the data. It is possible however that the Monitor paths specified by the job do not match what VRay ended up saving, so viewing the output does not work.

Hi Bobo, thanks for your answer!

I’m sorry I meant “even unchecking it didn’t work”…

But now I found a way to make it work: With V-Ray alone I can just copy/paste the same path in both the V-Ray raw image file path and Separate Render Channels path and it will output everything and adjust the naming of each element when just launching the render locally. But with deadline and V-Ray 3.6, it’s not working if i enter the same path and filename. I just have to use a different filename for the Render Channels path and it will work!

I think it worked before V-Ray 3.6 though. But I’m currently switching from RPM to Vexus as a pass manager so I have to change some habits too so I’m not sure about that.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences