AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Maya Batch plugin undesirable behavior

I’ve just discovered some thoroughly undesirable behaviour with the Maya Batch Plugin.

As per the docs, this plugin prevents the scene file from reloading between chunks/packets. This is normally a good thing and saves on render time.

But, it should NOT prevent the same scene file from being sent to the farm with changes which are needed, under the same render job name.

It appears that even a newly submitted job using the Deadline shelf button in Maya, will reuse the scene file held in RAM by the render nodes. This is highly undesirable – if I’m launching a new job with an updated file, then Deadline should treat that as a separate job event regardless of whether there is an existing job of the same name.

Well, the Slave will close and re-open Maya between jobs. I’m wondering if there was some caching issues here.

I’ve seen a problem where re-queuing a job had loaded the scene file, but I can’t remember the exact steps to reproduce.

Just so I can re-test over here, can you go through the steps to reproduce? I’m assuming the scene file had the same name here.

Just to eliminate the absolute obvious here…did you submit the Maya scene file with the job (submit scene file checkbox enabled) or is the multiple Maya jobs all referencing the same Maya scene file, stored on your network filer? (submit scene file checkbox disabled)

Sorry, just saw your replies (is there a way to get email notification of replies?).

I may actually have been mistaken about this behaviour (due to an output location error and the expectation that frames would be overwritten).

But, I’m curious that you say the slave should close and re-open Maya between jobs. Would this be the case even with new jobs submitted under the same job name as a currently rendering job. This might happen for example to render a patch of frames at the beginning of a sequence while the end of the sequence is still active in the original job.

Just replying about the e-mails bit so as not to step on Mike. You can subscribe to a topic at the bottom of the thread:

2017-07-20 09_43_42-(17) Maya Batch plugin undesirable behavior - Thinkbox Software.png

Or when starting a new thread:

2017-07-20 09_45_01-(8) Thinkbox Software - Post a new topic.png

Yes. As far as I know, all renderfarm dispatchers in the world work the same here. Just to be clear here, a job is a completely separate entity, which could be a different version of Maya loading a completely different scene file, perhaps from a completely different project.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences