Sorry for the title but I couldn’t come up with something more descriptive…
I have an animation file created in 3ds Max 2020 and rendered in V-Ray Next 3.1, like all other files in the project. There’s absolutely nothing special about this file on how it was created and what it contains. In fact, I submitted the same file at least twice to Deadline: one for a test render, one for a final render; then after a few months, I opened it again, tweaked a couple of things, and submitted it again.
And this is when problems started.
The file links to XRef objects, which are moved by animating Helpers; the output is a PNG file, and an EXR file with a two render elements (MultiMatte and Denoiser). Again, this is standard across all my files.
I submit to Deadline via the SMTD, sanity check returns two amber errors: render element output filename is undefined; the scene is however submitted and appears in the Monitor.
If I check the render elements they are still there but the path has been stripped (I have the “rebuild render elements” option on, so I would still see the output path after a submission).
When the scene is rendered, no XRef files are loaded and no error is given by either 3ds Max or Deadline. Files are saved and the EXR contains all necessary layers (RGBA, effectResult, MultiMatte, and the Denoiser group), showing only the sky map used as background.
I tried removing the render elements, adding them again, disabling the V-Ray buffer, force separate render channels in V-Ray options, but no success.
If I render the file locally, I don’t get any errors.
This is the only file with this problem, and I can’t quite understand what’s going on.
Deadline log is attached.