AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

[3dsmax] recurrent error

hi all.

We’ve got recurrent error whil launching 3dsmax jobs on Deadline (7.0.1.3)

I’ve got 2 types :

Looks like first nodes get the job and start rendering while node trying to starting up ar blocking on something
D7_errors1.JPG

Sometimes, we’ve got some error on lighting 3dsmax plugin, which is related to deadline i think.
Job_2015-01-19_17-53-38_54bd3692ad1be80fd4d9a4b2.txt (33.2 KB)

The fun thing we are trying to do is rendering with a RenderPass Manager (like RPManager) intern tool.
Do we have to submit with a special way or anything we could have miss ?
It work locally.
BTW, jobs get some errors but frame finally get rendered, so the result is fine. I just wast a lot of time on errors & launching slaves.
I tried to play on options like throttling or 3dsmax timeout for progress updates, but no significant results…

Thanks !

We have the same problem. Had it both on Deadline 6 and now on Deadline 7.
It does look like a reboot of the render blade helps, but once it starts on a new job the problem comes back.

Not sure if it started happening when we upgraded our blades to Windows Server 2012.
I doubt it’s the repository as we just changed to a completely new computer for the database and repository when upgrading to Deadline 7.

Could it be a networking issue?

Connecting to our slave log on a slave that is stuck at “Starting up” usually ends with tthis:

I’ve seen blades stuck at starting up for up to 40-50 minutes…

EDIT: I’m trying the “brute force way” of just renaming C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr4\lib\WSCommCntr4.exe to something else on every render blade. I think that’s the file in question. Will let you know if it works

I noticed something here that might help solve the issue. I hope this is relevant for your case too.

It looks like on the blades that are stuck on starting up one instance of the Autodesk InfoCenter is “stuck” and using a little amount of CPU power.
If I kill this process on the render blade 3dsMax picks up and starts rendering. (The process still restarts)

See attached images.
I just did this on two different slaves that were stuck on Starting Up:

Hi,
This issue has been finally fixed in upcoming Deadline v7.1, which enters beta next week.
I would recommend you guys getting onto the beta and testing it out. I would love to hear your feedback if this is then sorted for you?
(Enabling the ADSK Kill Comms Center to True in the Configure Plugins --> “3dsmax” section helps and is indeed the solution but only part of the solution. The final, full solution comes in v7.1)

Ah, I didn’t even know about that option in Deadline!

It does look like removing the .exe file also worked here. If not I’ll talk to my boss about joining the beta.
Wish I knew that before because we’ve been loosing render timer over this for several months.
I have to say that 3dsMax2015 have been a terrible release when it comes to render problems :unamused:

Make sure you are running the latest Deadline v7.0.2.3 as this has auto fixes for Scene State & Scene Explorer issues. Combined with the v7.1 ADSK Kill Comms Center setting being enabled (and using the latest code in v7.1, as previous versions do help, but don’t fully smash the bug); I’m hoping, will actually stabilise Max 2015 moving forward. I guess, I can then start looking at Max2016… :unamused:

Thanks Mike, then i’m waiting for beta release, i’ll deploy it asap.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences