AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

AMI for 3dsmax workstation

I’m a real newbie to the world of cloud computing, just trying to get myself used to the AWS ecosystem and initially run a virtual workstation for using 3dsmax with my own licence, then hopefully move on to using usage based licencing and spinning up farms of EC2 instances etc.

I managed to launch a Deadline AMI I found with Windows, 3ds max and Vray6 on an EC2 instance, but it appeared to be just a command line version of 3ds max.

Are there any AMIs kicking about with the full UI version I could start out with and use as a base to install all my plugins and auxiliary software, or am I just best off building it from a base Windows image?

Any pointers from someone who has gone through this process are appreciated.

Hello @Luminus

Thinkbox out of the box AMIs have a special version of 3dsMax which works with UBL (does not work with customer’s 3dsMax license) so you cannot run Max studio on it. You will need to start and instance with base image install 3dsMax on it.

Here’s the guide to create custom AMIs: Amazon Machine Image Customization — Deadline 10.3.0.13 documentation

Thanks for your reply, I only get to look at this subject sporadically, so just having another go.

That makes sense, and I see this on the UBL website:

‘Note that render time is only consumed while the Deadline Worker application is rendering.’

So am I right in thinking that UBL is only really designed for rendering via deadline, and couldn’t be used as a ‘local’ licence for an EC2 virtual workstation?

Currently my best guess at how to make this work is to build a custom AMI with 3ds Max, V-Ray, deadline etc from scratch on top of a ‘blank’ windows server AMI. Just about to attempt that process.

Yep, you’re completely correct it’s supposed to be just for rendering. And the 3dsMax licensing we’d sell you is a unique-to-us version that’s just for rendering on AWS.

Thanks, I was wondering actually, and I’m not sure this is the right place to ask, whether there’s anything in the Autodesk T&Cs that would prohibit me from using a normal licence on an EC2 virtual desktop. Was meaning to ask in the Autodesk forums, and I couldn’t spot anything myself, but as I’m here…

Not a clue I’m afraid, I’d check with the Autodesk folks.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences