AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Applying shaders on PRT Volume

Hey guys!

Finally got Krakatoa MY. Simply love it… it has some great features!

However I got a question that I can’t seem to find the answer.

When you render with Maya Particles, you can apply a specific shader (like a ramp for example) under the PartcielShape1 default node (like I think Thinkbox says in their tutorial). But I can’t seem to find a way to apply that same ramp shader when I load my Realflow particle .bin files with a PRT Volume. You can check the Override Color checkbox. But is there any way that we could add a Ramp or something like that on our particles?

Also, is there a way like in 3DS Max, to change the color of the particles depending on their velocity?

Thanks guys ! :slight_smile:

There is an Icon in the Krakatoa shelf called “PRT MOD”.

It provides functions that can modify the particles. One of the modifiers is “Apply Texture”. You can use that to color any channel in the particles via a Maya texture.

Hope that helps!

Worked perfectly! Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

I’m trying to make a test with Realflow where I import my millions of particles as a .bin PRT.

Then I’ll import the same but meshed RF simulation in Maya and render it and try to do some compositing to blend those 2 results together.

And I suppose without Magnaflow in 3DS Max, it’s impossible in Maya to shade our particles depending on their velocities?

You can do basic things without Magma. For example:

You could use a “Copy Channel” modifier, and have the source channel as “Velocity” and the destination channel as “Color” or “Emission”.
Selecting “Copy as Vector Length” would give you a grey-scale.

This would color the particles based on their velocities.

Note: This may give a warning in the viewport (as it did for me), but it will still work when renderered. I will try to fix that warning.

I wonder how you missed the tutorial which deals with exactly that :slight_smile:

thinkboxsoftware.com/kmy-map … ty-length/

Be sure to also see the previous tutorial it is based on, and all other tutorials for that matter :wink:

Wow… I looked on Thinkbox’s website to find some tutorial, and haven’t see that one!

Hahaha, will try to double-check next time!

It’s currently rendering, i’ll try to post the small test here when it’s done :slight_smile:

The compositing with the .EXR file and the Realflow mesh works flawlessly under AfterEffects with the blending option.

Here’s my small test :

youtube.com/watch?v=WwmGPuWd8uY

Now i’ll play with the color of the particles depending on their velocities… will see if it works!

Awesome! Thanks for posting it.

Hey guys!

Small message just to tell you that the Color per Velocity worked perfectly! Your tutorial explained it precisely.

Thank you again for your help. Will surely come here if I have more questions!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences