AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

AWS default Portal Gateway instance type

By default the gateway instance type is a 16core c4.4xlarge which is very overkill for (my) needs, is there a config file somewhere to set this to a smaller one so I’m burning a little less cash when the farm is on.

Hey Jonathan,

Right now there isn’t a way of changing that value. We wanted to abstract away some of the finer details (like instance types) from users with AWS Portal. We didn’t want people to have to know the differences between the instance families (eg. c4, m5 etc) or the sizes. So, we picked an instance type that would work with larger amounts of render nodes.

To save on costs, I’d recommend, if possible, turning off your infrastructure while you’re not rendering with it.

Thanks,
Eric

1 Like

Ok, that cost aren’t that much for so it’s no problem, was just trying to save a few pennies :slight_smile:

That being said, I’ve been using AWS to render since 2011 and had build my own portal equivalent which I still use for 3dsMax+Corona renders. But its all windows based which makes the render slaves extra costly compared to Linux… that and the 3th party usage based licensing made me attempt to switch to the Deadline AWS solution for Redshift and maybe one day for V-Ray as well. (Linux+redshift is cheaper per hour then and empty windows instance on same instance type!) I’m still liking it and once I get it to work it will be brilliant but it’s quite a bumpy ride to setup!

Edit: and about costs… yeah I maybe render a few times am month in bursts, so I just start/shutdown the entire thing when not needed… which is quite slow process I must say. I wouldn’t mind a ‘pause’ button then just terminates the slaves and stops puts the gateway so it’s quicker to startup again.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences