AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Black Render with additive mode

Hey guys,

so I dunno how to fix this…and I ve decided to ask you now.

Here is the result with additive mode, but it only works in renderview and in the final result it is just black…
Ive already unchecked Alpha Mask in the Common settings, but it didnt help at all…

Krakatoa Settings

Common Settings

So where is the problem with the additive mode ? Ive used a black background and colored my RGB things for the Particles…

thanks u in advance ! : )

I am not sure I understand the problem.
Are you saying that the EXR file saved by Krakatoa does not contain correct RGB channels and appears black?
As you mentioned, the Render View shows the correct output. There should be no Alpha channel in Additive mode, so only RGB should have non-zero values. I would expect the same data to be saved to the final output file.

Can you post the image file that was produced by the renderer? You can zip it and attach to your post here.
Btw, you can directly attach PNGs to your posts instead of using a file upload service.

Exactly, sir.

I’ve attached the final result in a zip now. I am pretty sure that I ve just made a simple nooby mistake.
images.rar (623 KB)

I don’t see a problem.

Both images loaded in Fusion (my compositing app of choice) show correct RGB and no Alpha as they should:

I opened the PNG in Maya’s fcheck and it showed up correctly. The EXR does not, but that’s fcheck’s problem.
I opened both the PNG and the EXR in our internal viewer (Lookater) and they showed up correctly.

When loading the PNG in Photoshop though, I got all channels empty.

So I would suspect your viewer/editing application as the culprit, since the data is obviously there (you can judge by the size, a black EXR would be only a few KBs).
Note that when enforcing EXR saving via the Krakatoa UI, we are using our own OpenEXR saving code. Otherwise, the data is sent to Maya and saved via its own image I/O code.
So we are not responsible for the format and content of PNG files, or Adobe’s inability to read some of them :wink:

Ok, so I’m gonna try out to merge my Krakatoa Images then with Nuke/Fusion or would you advice sth another for this ?
And ye a good point with the Adobe Software…I tried it to get a full movie in After Effects, but nice to know that won’t work.^^

Got it now. Rendered them out as .tga & merged them with virtual dub.

Thank you, pretty helpful : ) !

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences