AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Blender Submission Feature Request / Local Rendering

Hey,

after having contacted the support and being offered to post here in the forums to see if people want this feature i’m opening this thread.
I have been doing a couple of tests and noticed that, at least in our infrastructure, tasks in AfterEffects or in Cinema4D render way faster if the checkbox “local rendering” is active.
If i understand correctly, all that checkbox does is save all frames from a task in a local temp folder on the slave and transfer them to the final location once the task is done rendering.

We also tested a couple of Blender scenes, output-folder local vs. on the server, and the locally saved renderings did go through faster. The amount of time savings of course depends on the size of files and a couple of other factors. The thing we didn’t test is rendering a video file through Deadline with local rendering, might also help with performance since you loose the smb overhead.

Anyway, i’d love to see this feature for the Blender submitter, maybe there are other people who’d also like to use this feature :slight_smile: Please show your interest so that the Thinkbox staff knows that this is a wanted feature.

Notes: Just for clarification, our infrastructure is 10GbE from Workstation/Worker to the Server, the Server is easily capable of saturating the 10Gb connection. I assume that the time savings come from reduced IO load on the server, since it is HDD based…

2 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences