AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 10.1.18.5 fails to license Arnold 6.2.1.1 via FlexLM

Not sure why, but rendering via the Arnold plugin in Deadline fails to license Arnold via FlexLM, running the kick command via a commandline job or running the commandline directly on the node works, but the Arnold plugin doesn’t.

I’ve put an older version 5.2.0.0 on the node and that picks up the license as expected via the Arnold plugin.

Hope to find a solution to this

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5ARP/6.2.1.1

I’m just going back through the release notes, the previous version has an interesting note
https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5ARP/6.2.1.0

Incompatible Changes

By default, Arnold licenses are now checked out using the host computer name. In previous Arnold versions, licenses were checked out with the name arnold.user

This means that Arnold 6.2.1.0 and an older Arnold, like 6.2.0.1, won’t share a license if you render with both versions on the same time on the same machine.

To make Arnold 6.2.1 share a license with an older Arnold, set the environment variable ARNOLD _LICENSE_CLM_USERNAME to a****rnold.user

ARNOLD _LICENSE_CLM_USERNAME supports the tokens ‘username’ and ‘hostname’, so with Arnold 6.2.1 and later you can customize the name used to check out the license.

It could be just ‘username’, which would expand to to something like "blairs"Or it could be something like ‘arnold.username.hostname’, which would expand to something like “arnold.blairs.NOVMJ07M9WM”

I’ll have another look at this tomorrow

I thought I could do a lazy workaround with a previous version but even 6.0.0.0 doesn’t work, where 5.4.0.3 (last v5) does. So the latest changes are irrelevant.

So it sounds more like it’s an issue with the Deadline plugin?

I’ve added env vars for the license, but knowing it works outside of Deadline or via a Deadline commandline job leads me to think the issue lies with Deadline.

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5ARP/6.0.1.0

ARNOLD_LICENSE_ORDER=network,rlm
ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE=27000@98.76.54.32

I had a poke around the arnold.py in the plugins folder, but I can’t see anything that stands out there

The full command I’m running is this (as root with and without Deadline)

"/opt/Arnold-6.2.1.1/bin/kick" -nstdin -dw -dp -i "/var/lib/Thinkbox/Deadline10/workers/ip-10-10-10-10/jobsData/6155e8175e708f86c48f7e3b/thread0_tempWDRpL0/Maya2022_Arnold_Simple_01.0001.ass" -v 4 -set options.abort_on_license_fail true

Via Deadline it fails, but on commandline or via commandline job it works.

I half wonder if this knocks something out

INFO: The job's environment will be merged with the current environment before rendering

But if I add them in with the job it still fails

If I try running the Arnold job with the HtoA plugin I get the same issue, works direct but not through Deadline.

If I run an Arnold render or export in Houdini that works fine.

So something in the Arnold plugin stops it, but having a quick look through it I can see anything that stands out.

This is sorted now, though I’m not entirely sure which part fixed it!

I did run this command to register
/opt/Arnold-6.2.1.1/license/installer/Autodesk_Licensing-11.0.0.4854_03.run

but I assume this is for single user license, I’m using network (FlexLM) and it shouldn’t need it? Outside of Deadline had no issue.

I’ve also been and run chmod 777 on lots of folders like /var/lib/Thinkbox, ~/*, /opt/Autodesk. So some combination of this has got it working.

Same problem here. Server is the latest 10.1.19, running on a single linux virtual machine with nothing else installed on it. All the slaves are windows 10 machines with Arnold installed. Testing on their own by manually running kick.exe on a test .ass file, the license gets picked up and renders without watermark. With deadline you get the error in the render logs that none of the rml or flex licenses are not found (our license server is using Flex).

Any thoughts on this? Tried already reinstalling server and added some chmod’s to places as a test as @anthonygelatka suggested but still no work… We can’t go back to previous version of Arnold and our deadlines are soon getting us by our b4lls! :smiley:

Any ideas where to start looking from, highly appreciated!
Cheers

Ok. Found a fix!

Silly mistake. For some reason there was no “ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE” variable in the slave’s system variables. Adding the license server there fixed the issue.

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences