AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 10.1 - Task start takes ages. What could it be?

Hi everyone,

Have a rather healthy DL setup with only 2 workers for now. Being working wonderfully for a long time (6+ months).

It’s not the setup for me - done it for the friend’s tiny studio.

Repo is on the cloud server, while 2 workers are physical machines in his office.
Lately noticed the massive slowdown in queue processing. Looking into the numbers I see that tasks takes extremely long time to start. Mainly first frames that go on to the machine. Following frames are fine.
Here you can see - 6 tasks. First two went to the different machines respectively and took long time to start. Following frames went quick.

Looking into the task report - I see that the time sinks in between these steps.
DL03

What could it be? There are heavy AUX files (500mb - 1gb) attached to the job and need to be copied from the repo to the workers. This is my first suspicion. I can’t test the speeds yet, probably will get full access to the environment next week.

But was researching meanwhile if someone know what happens between these steps in task processing?

Thanks for any tips:)

Did you submit a ticket to support? They’ll give you the best answer on whats happening in the background.

Are you using RCS with the cloud repo? Which application is being used? What is the custom ‘Browzwear’ plugin doing? this could be part of the 5min start-up routine, was this in place before the long startup time?

Hi @anthonygelatka

Thanks!:slight_smile: I didn’t log the ticket because was not sure it’s worth bothering the support and wanted to jut get the overall knowledge on how the tasks being processed.

Are you using RCS with the cloud repo?

yes. Indeed.

Which application is being used?
What is the custom ‘Browzwear’ plugin doing?

It’s literally Blender plugin. Just renamed. And it does all the same as the default Blender plugin. Planned to be customized but not yet.

this could be part of the 5min start-up routine, was this in place before the long startup time?

Not really…that’s a thing. It was always rather fast.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences