AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline for Houdini status message error

Hi there, first post!

Our studio has recently upgraded to Houdini20, and got Deadline (10.2.1.1) installed with the patch files (thanks Justin_B!)
Several errors are thrown when opening the submission menu, but through some submitter tweaks for diagnosing, it seems to be because the status message is returning the following-

b"‘C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\pythonAPIs\2023-04-17T214216.0000000Z’ already exists. Skipping extraction of PythonSync.\r\nDraft Off, Shotgun Off"

This causes a bunch of TypeErrors. To my knowledge the plugin is expecting something like “Draft Off, Shotgun Off”
The CallDeadlineCommand returns the same Status Message in Houdini19.5 but nothing errors and submission goes through fine
I could probably whack-a-mole modify a load of error handling throughout the SubmitHoudiniToDeadline plugin, but I’d be keen to figure out why the deadlinecommand is returning this in the first place

Happy to share any required non-sensitive info
I’d be grateful for any pointers! Thanks in advance

I bet there’s some issue with Houdini 19.5 using Python 3 and the submitter we shipped with Deadline 10.2 assuming Python 2.

Before we dig too far into it, here’s the DeadlineRepository10\submission\Houdini folder from my Deadline 10.3 install which will be built for Python 3.

Put the contents into DeadlineRepository10\custom\submission\Houdini and re-try the submitter. I am a little concerned the application plugin (that actually fires up and monitors Houdini) is going to blow up on you, but this is the easy test.

Submitter code for Houdini.zip (166.1 KB)

If Houdini does start failing at render time, try putting the following into the DeadlineRepository10\custom\plugins\Houdini folder.

Houdini_app_plugin.zip (16.9 KB)

And if all that fails with Python problems, maybe take a look at moving to Deadline 10.3 to get Deadline on Python 3 to match with Houdini?

Hey Justin, success!

Added this submitter code into the custom folder (and also into our DEADLINE_LAUNCH_PATH which is elsewhere for unknown reasons). All I had to tweak was replacing the script path in MainMenuCommon.xml to be an absolute path to get around a missing env var

Houdini goes through fine at render time :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks for confirming with us!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences