AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline Submitter and separation of UI and submission

Currently the different application specific deadline submitter’s frequently mix GUI code with application logic.
This architecture makes it difficult to extend a submitter.

Common scenarios for extending are:

• Studio’s build their own streamlined GUI and just want to utilize the submitter as an API without a GUI
  • Studio’s want to extend the existing GUI

So to fix it there could be at least two approaches:

MINIMALISTIC (backwards compatible & minimal OOP)

1. a settings class which throws errors when an invalid value is set and which can be utilized from the GUI and code

class Settings(object): def getpriority(self): return self.__x def setpriority(self, value): if value > 100: raise ValueError("Priority can't be higher then 100") self.__x = value x = property(getx, setx, "I'm the 'x' property.")
1b) If no OOP available (MaxScript) a function which is used to set a value on an array and throws errors if the value is out of range
2) separate function which allow tweaking and intercepting the original code easily:

def submitter_function(): settings = getDefaultSettingsForScene() preUISettingsTweakHook(settings) ShowUserUI(settings) postUISettingsTweakHook(settings) submitJob(settings) saveSettingsAsDefaultForNextSubmission(settings)

OOP (object oriented)
[code]class SettingsBase()
class SubmitterBase()
def submit: raise NotImplementedException()
class SubmitterGuiBase() # based on PySide
def getDefaultSettingsForScene()
return SettingsBase
def buildWidgets()

Now every submitter inherits from the base

class MaxSubmitter(SubmitterBase)
class MaxSubmitterGui(SubmitterGuiBase)

If customers have a custom submitter they just inherit and overwrite and the code lifes in custom

class MaxSubmitterInhouse()
class MaxSubmitterGuiInhouse(MaxSubmitterGui)[/code]
etc.

We wanted to bring up the topic for discussion in the hope that the submitters will be easier to extend in the future.
Thanks
Patrick

Hey Patrick, are you able to access the beta boards? I want to move this over there since it’s more design and development oriented than most of the stuff in this section of the forums.

It’s definitely something that should happen, as usual I’m not sure of the development resources we have can accommodate it.

Hey Edwin, feel free to move the post to beta

Hi Patrick, I totally agree with your suggestion. For future plugins, we definitely try to keep this approach in mind. Refactoring existing plugins would be lower priority, but I can see the obvious benefits.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences