AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline support on Rocky Linux 9.3

Hi There,
I’ve read the other posts about Rocky Linux. They didn’t help.
Is Rocky Linux supported? If so what version of mongo is recommended? I’m on Rocky 9.3 and really struggling to get this thing working.

Thanks
M

There’s a couple components in a Deadline setup, it sounds like you’re having issues with the Repository+Database setup, but let us know if that’s not all.

If the repo installer is failing to set up the database, you could work around it with the Manual Database Installation — Deadline 10.3.1.4 documentation and point the installer at that setup. You’ll need to use MongoDB 5, use the community edition as it’s what we install.

Rocky isn’t explicitly supported, but it’s a re-creation of Red Hat which is supported. So if we assume the recreation is accurate it should work. It’s a big assumption, as operating systems are complicated, so without knowing your issue that’s all the guesswork I’ve got.

I was having trouble installing any version of Mongo prior to 6 but I’ll have another go and see if I can get it working. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m running deadline on rocky8. I too had issues with the deadline installer recognizing my dnf installed mongodb. What I ended up doing was downloading the zipped release from mongo and pointing the installer to that zip file.

Yeah I am also not able to get it up and running on Rocky 9.3. I suspect it’s not possible as of now, as we only got MongoDB 6.0.4+, but Deadline is only compatible with 4 and 5 currently. It doesn’t throw an error while installing when providing the files manually, but it doesn’t seem to operate properly. Adding render machines works, but render submissions aren’t and throwing errors.

We found a solution for Rocky 9.3, see below

1 Like

I’m running the Deadline database and repository on a Rocky 9.3 host, and the important bit is to install MongoDB 5 - nothing newer is supported by Deadline. Installing the EL8 RPM works just fine:

rpm -ivh mongodb-org-server-5.0.23-1.el8.x86_64.rpm

was what I did. Make sure you resolve dependencies; I also had to install the “compat-openssl11” RPM.

1 Like

I’ve got that exact version of Mongo up and running but I’m getting the following error…

An error occurred while configuring the database:

Could not connect to any of the specified Mongo DB servers defined in the “Hostname” parameter of the “settings/connection.ini” file in the root of the Repository.

The following errors were encountered:

• 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
  • localhost: Connection refused

this worked for me:

wget https://fastdl.mongodb.org/linux/mongodb-linux-x86_64-rhel80-4.4.29.tgz

then during install, when you get up to the mongodb options:

The type of Database

[1] MongoDB: MongoDB
[2] DocumentDB: DocumentDB
Please choose an option [1] : 1

MongoDB Database Setup
[1] Install a new MongoDB database on this machine?
[2] Connect to an existing MongoDB database installation?
Please choose an option [2] : 1

MongoDB Installation Type

[1] Download MongoDB (requires internet connection)
[2] Pre-packaged Binaries
Please choose an option [1] : 2

Pre-packaged Binaries [ ]: /whereveryoudownloadedto/mongodb-linux-x86_64-rhel80-4.4.29.tgz

*mongodb 4.4.29
*Rocky 9.3
*Deadline 10.3.2.1

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences