AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline Tile Job. Tiles not saving

Hi there,

I have a Tile rendering job submitted from 3ds Max & VRay using Deadline 10.2. There are 16 tiles that all successfully render without error, however, they do not save once completed and as a result the Draft Tile Assembly job fails as it cant find the Tiles.

We are saving to .exr via the VRay Frame Buffer.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like ‘OutputDirectory0=’ and ‘OutputFilename0=’ Parameters are missing from the Job Info for the tiled batch job…

Hello @Benjamin_A_Robins

Thanks for reaching out, I have checked this on my end by submitting 3ds Max + VRay Job and used VRay Frame Buffer to save output as .exr files enabling Tile rendering and seen ‘OutputDirectory0=’ and ‘OutputFilename0=’ [0-15] for 16 Tiles - Parameters in Submission Params of Job.

Wondering If you enabled VRay Frame Buffer in VRay render and defined the Output correctly

If possible, can you please share the archived Job to check the Task reports and the Submission Params of the job. You can also create a ticket to our Support Team with the archived Job report and referring this forums thread in ticket.

Also, did you try rendering the same job with out enabling VRay Frame Buffer ? please check and update with the requested details.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply and for looking into this. Much appreciate.

So with 3ds Max + Vray the correct procedure for saving via the Frame Buffer is as follows;

This allows for embedded render elements saved into the .exr file (which saving via 3ds Max Render Output in the Common tab does not allow for).

This is standard practice across all projects and works correctly with Deadline on normal (non Tiled) Jobs however with the Tile submission it seems to be ignored.

I will message you with the archived Job now.

Thank you

Hello, just wanted to check in on this @Nreddy Nreddy

Reddy’s not available, and I can’t get into his account to pull direct messages. Could you send it in on a ticket to support@awsthinkbox.zendesk.com? I can pull it from there. Thanks!

Hi Justin,

No problem, I will send it over now.

Thank you

1 Like

Got it!

To confirm, from the line that reads (full path and filename obfuscated by me):

RuntimeError: exr_input_file Error: failed to open exr fileT:\path\to\tile_1x1_4x4_.0000.exr

There is a file at T:\path\to\tile_1x1_4x4_.0000.exr? Or is that not being created?

I’ve found when we get an error like that from Draft it’s one of:

1. The EXR doesn’t exist, the tile creation job failed to output.

2. The EXR doesn’t exist at that location, and Draft is using the wrong path.

3. The EXR can’t be read by Draft because the file location isn’t available to the render node.

4. The EXR can’t be read by Draft because of a compatibility issue.

Luckily 1 and 2 are easier to identify and fix, but for those I’d need to see the job archive of the job that creates the tiles. With that and the tile assembly job archive I’ve already got, we should be able to put the puzzle together.

For 3, make sure T:\ has been configured in the Mapped Drives.

For 4, is it just this job whose tiles fail to be assembled? If so then there’s something amiss with the EXR getting made.

Hi Justin,

Thank you.

As you can see in my original post, the .exr’s are not being saved via the Vray frame buffer on Tile Job submissions, this is the issue.

.exr’s are saved perfectly fine via the Vray frame buffer on NON Tile Job submissions.

Sounds good, I’ll keep an eye on that ticket for the archives of the jobs that create the tiles. Thanks!

Alrighty, you’re rendering locally, which means the vray frame buffer is getting pointed to a local Deadline temp directory instead of the final home at T:\ and copied over afterwards.

If you disable local rendering, how does this behave? I think the final output path isn’t getting properly handed to the copy over. The missing entries in the JobInfo file you mentioned aren’t a part of the issue - those are used to drive the ‘Explore Output’ context menu on the Monitor.

I think the job is being created incorrectly - could I get a copy of the SMTD log that’s made when the job is submitted?

Those are stored in here:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline[VERSION]\logs\SubmitMaxToDeadline-[hostname]-[date]-[increment].log```

As Local Rendering is enabled by default we have been using this on all Jobs. I will try disabling it to see how it behaves.

Hi there,

Disabling Local Rendering does indeed resolve the issue with the tiles not saving to the correct location on T:

However, the Draft Tile Assembly process seems to be Erroring and I am unable to figure out why. It seems as though it cant find Draft?

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences