AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline Worker not opening after reinstall

Hi Deadline Support,

I was using Deadline last night on my windows 10 render machine controlled from my windows 10 main machine and it was all rendering fine. But suddenly I started getting a redshift error: redshift INFO: Process exit code: -536870911 on the slave render machine.

When I looked into the Redshift log there was an error that says:

Could not load the HIP core library from C:\ProgramData\Redshift\bin\redshift-core-hip-vc140.dll

I’m using Redshift 3.5.15 so I uninstalled and went to redshift 3.5.14 and reinstalled deadline, however for some reason my deadline worker now doesn’t load. I’ve tried using the newest version and still nothing happens. I also tried fixing my .NET framework which apparently found some errors and fixed them but still the worker doesn’t open.

When I click the worker shortcut or try to load from the launcher nothing happens.

Do you have any idea what might cause this?

Thanks,
L

I looked at my logs and I have the following line:

2023-06-08 11:48:53: Launching Worker:
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Failed to spawn process “C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin\deadlineworker.exe” with “” arguments
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception Details
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception – Error starting “C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin\deadlineworker.exe” in “C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin” : The requested operation requires elevation.
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception.TargetSite: Void i(System.String, System.String, System.String)
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception.Data: ( )
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception.Source: franticx
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception.HResult: -2146233088
2023-06-08 11:48:53: Exception.StackTrace:
2023-06-08 11:48:53: at FranticX.Processes.ChildProcess.i(String cc, String cd, String ce)
2023-06-08 11:48:53: at FranticX.Processes.ChildProcess.Launch(String executable, String arguments, String startupDirectory)
2023-06-08 11:48:53: at FranticX.Processes.Process2.SpawnProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)

Does this mean there isn’t enough permissions?

Only way I can get it working is to run the deadlineworker.exe inside C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin directly. The link from the launcher doesn’t work still.

However I’m still getting the original redshift error which is very strange because it was working before. Have you heard of this error before?

Could not load the HIP core library from C:\ProgramData\Redshift\bin\redshift-core-hip-vc140.dll

If I run the proxy directly from the redshiftCmdLine.exe it seems to work perfectly also.

Going back down to redshift 3.5.14 fixed the issue once I sorted the permissions and started with a new file from scratch.

Looks like it could be an msvc problem? You need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, whatever version corresponds to 140 (the versioning scheme is weird).

Regarding the dll error message:

There’s been a lot of discussion on the Maxon Redshift forum regarding v3.5.15

Maxon support says “You can ignore the missing hip file, it’s for AMD gpus.”
“Actually, the dll is not missing but fails to load as you don’t have the AMD driver installed which is not needed if you don’t have a compatible AMD card.”

and then in later posts:

“There’s a bug with the REDSHIFT_GPUDEVICES that can lead to these edge cases, we have a fix for 3.5.16.
Thanks for reporting this and providing the repro data.”
Logged as a bug with ID: RS-2766

You have to login into the maxon forum to read the posts:

https://redshift.maxon.net/topic/47135/rs-3-5-15-redshiftcmdline-gpu-affinity-bug/

https://redshift.maxon.net/topic/47111/redshift_gpudevices-environment-variable-doesn-t-actually-work

Hello @silcy

For the permission issue, and yes it is a permission issue please add the “execute permission” for the user account which is running Launcher and which trying to start the Worker.

Let me know if it still fails to start.

For the Redshift issue I think there is enough info the thread, did you get a chance to read through Maxon’s post?

Thanks so much for your help! I managed to get it working by going down to 3.5.14, so I’m pretty sure it sounds like its really an RS bug. Its very strange cause it was working only failed half way through a render. Almost like something changed!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences