AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Dependencies do not exist

We recently upgraded Deadline to 10.1.23.6 Houdini to Houdini 19.5.403 and our dependencies have stopped working. It does submit the dependent job but if I look at the dependencies in the job properties it says the “job dependency does not exist”.

I have a feeling this is a python3 issue and its not getting or setting the dependent job ID correctly.

Has anyone experienced this and knows how to fix it?

We do have some custom scripts which would have been created a couple of years ago when Deadline was using python 2 so I may need to try and remake our custom script by duplicating the latest Thinkbox script then adding the relevant lines back in.

Do you mean you upgraded from Deadline 10.1.23 to 10.3?

Either way, 10.1.23 brought in Python 3 support, and 10.3 dropped Python 2 support, so looking at Python issues as your root issue is a good instinct.

I’d check in the Houdini console, or in the job’s reports for failures in the job submission, or in any errors thrown by scripts you might have in place.

Hi Justin,

I’ve just been going through the scripts and i’ve fixed the issue.

In the GetJobIdFromSubmission() function inside the SubmitHoudiniToDeadlineFunctions script it was returning a bytestring, so I added a line to decode it to a regular string. Its now this for me (and is working correctly):

def GetJobIdFromSubmission( submissionResults ):
    jobId = ""
    for line in submissionResults.split():
        line = line.decode('utf-8')

if line.startswith( "JobID=" ):
            jobId = line.replace( "JobID=", "" ).strip()
            break

return jobId
1 Like

Nice work!

What’s odd is this snippet here:

if sys.version_info[0] > 2 and type(output) == bytes:
        output = output.decode()

in CallDeadlineCommand should have done that conversion for you once it picked up that you’re running Python 3. Are you maybe running a customized version of the Houdini submitter that didn’t get updated when you upgraded the repository? If you’re working out of the DeadlineRepository10/custom/submission directory that’ll be the case.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences