AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Draft job failing

I’m submitting from Modo and from that I’m submitting to Shotgun and using Draft to make a quicktime movie. But the Draft job keeps failing and it complains that it can’t find the files in the file path. But they do exist. I was able to run a succesful job earlier today. But during that render I wasn’t submitting to Shotgun, just submitting a Draft job along with the Modo job. If I submit a Draft job through the Monitor it renders fine.
failedDraft_02.txt (6.53 KB)
failedDraft_01.txt (6.42 KB)
SuccesfulDraft.txt (7.28 KB)

Hey James,

I’m not sure why it would have worked for earlier versions, but not later attempts. Whether or not you’re tying the job to Shotgun shouldn’t really affect the actual Draft job, it wouldn’t even be getting to the point where it tries to upload the output to Shotgun (since it obviously failed to generate any).

I did notice that the failed logs were from different Slaves than the successful ones – is it possible that the X:\ drive isn’t mapped on the two Slaves that failed? Does it work properly if you specify a UNC path instead of specifying a mapped drive?

I think I just found a possible reason for the failure. Although I’m not sure why it should make any difference. If I submit a Modo job and don’t specify any PassGroup, the Draft job renders fine. But when I specify one of my PassGroups, that’s when it fails to complete. Again, I don’t know why this should matter. I have hacked the ModoSubmission.py to only take in the file path and format of the Final Color Renderoutput in my scene. Curious.

So I ran another Modo test today. I took the same scene and sent it through twice. Once with no PassGroups specified and then again with a PassGroup specified. The job with no PassGroup ran perfectly. The one with a PassGroup failed on theDraft job.

This is kind of a big deal for us as we are planning on utilizing this process to make QT’s and submit versions to Shotgun. We use PassGroups out of Modo all the time. I’m hoping to get some assistance in figuring out this issue. Please let me know what information I need to supply to help fix it.

Thanks!

Hey James,

That definitely sounds super weird. I’ll have a go at testing this here to see if I can’t figure out what’s going on that’s preventing this from working properly with pass groups. Could you upload your modified submission script so that I’m testing off the same changes you are?

Cheers,
Jon

OK, that might take me a bit of time since it ties into a bunch of python classes that I wrote. Let me see see what I need to send you.

OK, I think this should do it. In the ModoSubmission.py I have all my changes wrapped in lanes of hashtag comments. I also apologize for the sparse commenting, please let me know if you run into any issues using my scripts.
toThinkBox.rar (17.8 KB)

Thanks! I’ll do some testing on our end and let you know when I find something.

As for the lack of commenting, I’m sure I’ll figure it out – we’re not exactly the best at that either, as I’m sure you’ve noticed :slight_smile:

Hey James,

I spent a good amount of time fiddling with Modo today, and I found that the root of this issue is basically that Deadline doesn’t properly know where Modo’s output is going when rendering Pass Groups. This is because Modo incorporates the Pass names into the output, and Deadline is never actually aware of what the individual Pass names actually are (we just know the Pass Group name).

This is a little tricky to solve in the current submitter, as I’m sure you’re aware of based on the modifications you’ve made. Since we’re really just calling the Monitor submitter which can’t really get the Pass Names after the fact, we’ll have to pass in the individual Pass names along with the Pass Group names as arguments (might be easier to put all the arguments in a file at that point though). From there, it should be possible to properly populate the OutputFilename0…N entries in the Job Submission file (based on modo’s file output pattern). Once that’s done, the Draft Event Plugin should just work (a Draft Job would get generated for each Pass in the Pass Group).

We’ll definitely be fixing this for 6.2, but I figured I’d give you the details in case you wanted to get a jump start on it yourself.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, Modo does things a bit differently. It’s frustrating at times but it can also be fun. :slight_smile:

But I’ll poke around at it to see what I can come up with. Thankfully we are in the early stages of our Shotgun eval project and we aren’t utilizing PassGroups as of yet. So I’ve got some time.

James

Hey Jon, I saw that a new build was released today and some Draft updates were included. Was anything we addressed in this thread addressed in those updates? I’ve gotten pulled away from coding recently so I haven’t had a chance to really look into fixing this on my end.

Thanks

James

Yeah, none of the stuff to fix modo passgroups is in there yet, unfortunately. We’re planning on overhauling the entire integrated submitter, so it might take a bit longer to make it in. It definitely should be a 6.2 thing though, I believe it’s the next order of business for one of our devs. Hang in there a bit longer :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jon

Good to know, thanks Jon!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences