AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Error when launching two slaves on one node

My Google-fu might be off today, but haven’t managed to find the root cause for this error reported online.

When trying to launch two slaves on any node, I get the following popup for one of the instances. The first slave instance will load without issue.

I’m under the impression that there is a firewall or port error, but not sure where to take it from there.

In C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slaves , both slaves appear (1,2) and are both populated with information when the dialog box is open.

In slave 1 I have:

[Deadline]
SlaveProcessID=20220
SlaveStartedByIdleDetection=False
SlaveListeningPort=54435
SlaveRemoteLogPort=5054

In slave 2, I notice other values have been set for all ports listed here, including the SlaveRemoteLogPort. These seem to be applied at random every time I try to start the slave.

Would appreciate any help on this issue!

Hmm. We added a feature for UBL that the Slave binds to a port to detect genuine usage. It’s this setting in the UBL section of “Configure Repository Options”:

If my guess is right, I’m not sure how we can work around it, but I know who wrote it and will discuss with them what our path forward can be.

Hey Andrew,

Do you have Tools > Configure Repository Options > Global Remote Command Port Override set? This sets the same static port for all slaves so the second slave is trying to startup on the same port as the which is already in use.

Alternatively you can disable that feature and then set override for each slave independently to get “Connect to Slave log” working.

Regards,

Charles

1 Like

Hi Charles,

Thanks, you’ve hit the nail on the head there! As soon as I turned this off, I was able to startup multiple slaves on all machines.

Glad that this was a trivial issue but I noticed there is no documentation to say that multiple slaves will not launch when this is enabled, can I make a feature request for this?

Thanks again!

Andrew

Ah, I’m glad Charles got that one. :slight_smile:

The problem at the moment is that we need to move that feature to a central application (say the Launcher) before we can do a proper hand-off to multiple Slaves. I’ll add you to an internal ticket here though.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences