AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Feature Request : Spline Meshing

Hi,

As we can create trailes of particles and mesh them using anisotropic or any other method there. But I was thinking as frost is already standard for meshing particles now, why can’t we have spline generate based on particles motion? (to create animated spline/spline trailing from particles?)

I would like to see this feature.

Thank you,
Regards,
Jignesh

What does spline generation from particles have to do with meshing?
Frost is a Geometry object and can only produce meshes. We would need a separate Shape object that can produce splines which would have nothing to do with Frost.

Splines are implemented very differently in Max, plus there are a bunch of solutions out there for turning particles to splines. At least there are scripts for that (scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip … to-splines) , and you could even script one using the Krakatoa PRT Stream methods. There might be even some free plugins out there, but I have not looked.

I checked those free plugins/scripts. I agree with you now.

Can you tell what will be next features for frost?

Also using Krakatoa PRT Stream method , do you mean without scripting and just using magmaflow?

I cannot discuss details of the Frost development, but we do have a plan (besides the Maya port).
As for the PRT stream, no, it would be with scripting, using the interface to read the particle data from PRT objects like PRT Loader and build splines with MAXScript.

In theory, if you were interested in renderable splines (which are actually meshes), I believe a further developed Genome version with the ability to build geometry procedurally would be a better place to implement what you asked for. But don’t hold your breath just yet :wink:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences