AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Frost and Shape instances

Is there a way in frost when you use a Pflow with a shape instance to use the shape instance verts to create the frost mesh instead of it just using the particle as a source? Ie have a blob on each on vert rather than on each on particle.

The only way I can think of is to xmesh the pflow and then put that in the frost, or use a mesher, or use two frosts use one for the shape instance and one too do the frost mesh. One thing I found a problem with and I had this before and someone helped me out with a script but I can’t remember the workflow and I can’t find the post.

[code]on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useScale = true
pCont.useFloat = true
)

on Init pCont do
(

)

on Proceed pCont do
(
count = pCont.NumParticles()

for i in 1 to count do
(
	pCont.particleIndex = i
	pCont.particleFloat = (pCont.getParticleScale i)*10
)

)

on Release pCont do
(

)[/code]

When I assign the geometry in the first frost for the shape instance it doesn’t match the sizes to the pflow. I remember reading that it has something to do with the way pflow sends out the scale/radius to frost. In the image you can see what I mean, the green one is in the pflow and the yellow is what frost creates.

Thanks.
radius.PNG

I just found my old post. The script was to save the radius channel when saving PRT to use with frost.

Normally, you would use the Mesher compound object to turn the PFlow to a single TriMesh, then use Frost on that, but XMesh will do nicely too. The Mesher approach is better because it is on-the-fly, no need to re-cache if PFlow changes,

In your example, if the sphere on the left is the mesh used for the PFlow and Frost instances, you must set its Radius to 1.0 in order for Frost to scale it correctly and match the display of PFlow. PFlow takes the Radius of the Shape Instance into account and passes it on to Frost, resulting in a “double-scale”. So if your Sphere has a Radius of 2.0, and Frost is set to use the Radius channel, the Frost instances of the same Sphere will appear twice as large as the PFlow’s!

I like the mesher option but we were running into a problem when when we were following this method. We put the mesher in the frost and xmeshed the frost but when we re timed the xmesh it was imploding even though it was fine when we had the live frost object.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences