AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Frost UI shim

We were still getting frostUI.ms not loaded errors. So I made this shim for now.

\scripts\startup\frostshim.ms

if (FrostUi == undefined) then
		(
			local platform

local v = maxVersion()
			local v2 = v[1]/1000 - 10 + 2008
			local version = v2 as string
			if (is64bitApplication()) then platform = "x64"
			else platform = "win32"

local fs =  (FrostUtils.FrostHome + "3dsmax" + version + "\\" + platform + "\\FrostStartup.ms")			
			filein fs
			format "\nForced Frost startup\n frost: % \n" fs to:listener
		)	
			else
		(
			--format "frost load normally\n" fs to:listener
		)

Hope this is useful for some testers. Until the bug is fixed you will get the message “Forced Frost startup”.

Ben

I should note that I’ve only tested this on 2010, 2009, 2012. I probably need to make a better version map so it will work on 2011. But you get the idea.

The real question is: Why does the FrostStartup.ms not launch on your installation in the first place?
Can you post an example path of where Frost is currently located? In theory, any .MS file placed in a folder listed in the plugin.ini or in a sub-folder of such a folder will be evaluated on Max startup, unless the folder name is in parentheses in which case it is skipped from the search. Is this the only .MS file that refuses to load?
This is the first time I hear about this problem, so I would be very interested in understanding it first…

My best guess is that you use a custom directory layout that does not match the layout created by our installer. Do you experience this problem when you use the Frost installer?

I assume you have Krakatoa working correctly? Frost expects the same directory layout as Krakatoa.

Just FYI, Frost 1.1.2.44769 - I have no issues.

Thanks! If you experience this problem, please file a bug report.

We’re considering showing the expected path to FrostUi.ms in our error dialog to help debug such problems.

If you need a different directory layout, please post your requirements.

My layout is identical to krakatoa.

maxroot\plugins\Frost\3dsmax2010\x64
maxroot\plugins\Frost\scripts
maxroot\plugins\Frost\Icons\

I haven’t installed 1.1.2.44769 rc2 yet.

I wonder if there is a bug affecting certain path names.

Would it be possible for you to please send me a PM with the full path to Frost.dlo? For example, “C:\Program Files (x86)\Thinkbox\Frost\3dsMax2010\x64\Frost.dlo”.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugins\Frost\3dsmax2010\x64\FrostStartup.ms

This script might run. but the filein() commands might not execute if frost.dlo isn’t loaded or some other reason. So …\scripts\frostui.ms isn’t loaded.

Without the shim script, do you see errors like: ‘The Frost plugin is not installed correctly. Frost is not available. Please reinstall.’ or ‘Unknown property: “GetSettingsDirectory” in undefined’ ?

Do you have
Frost=C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugins\Frost\3dsmax2010\x64
under [Directories] in your C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugin.ini ?

If your fix posted in the first message works, then the Frost.dlo was loaded (it sets the FrostUtils.FrostHome value when it does), but the script fails to load.
If the DLO was not loaded but the FrostStartup.ms got run, the message would be “The Frost plugin is not installed correctly. Frost is not available. Please reinstall”.
You could add some debug prints to the FrostStartup.ms to see if it is run at all and what paths it sees, e.g.

[code]if classof Frost == GeometryClass then (

local scriptPath = FrostUtils.FrostHome + "Scripts\\"
local iconPath = FrostUtils.FrostHome + "Icons\\"

format "Scripts Path is %\n" scriptPath 

fileIn (scriptPath + "FrostUI.ms")
fileIn (scriptPath + "FrostPresetMan.ms")
fileIn (scriptPath + "Frost-CreateFrost.mcr")[/code]

If you see the line printed, you will know the script is running on startup and you can check to see if the path makes sense (matches your actual install).

This thread is old, but the issue still persists in 2024 version which I have obtained from an external source who voluntarily compiles the plugins for the newer versions.

This is the folder that resolved the “frostui.ms not found” error issue when frost scripts are manually placed into:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2024\Plugins\Frost

There was no folder like frost. I have created it myself.
The corresponding scripts are:

FrostUI.ms
Frost-CreateFrost.mcr
FrostMenuCreator.ms
FrostPresetMan.ms
FrostROIManipulator.ms

Error message was appearing upon pressing the "Open the particle object context menu " button. (Button with a Fast Forward symbol on)

Just incase any of you experience it.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences