AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Geometry node in houdini doesn't support variables anymore

Hi,

I updated to deadline 10.1.5.1 and it seems like it is no longer support variables in file output path anymore in houdini.
For example I was using variables such as $OS, opname("../..") or even connecting path from another node chs("../../filecache1/file"). When I send this to render I get an error Error: Failed to save output to file “/mnt/projects/Active/Project/job/SHOTS/shot_0100/geo/opname(…/…)/v01/opname(…/…).1054.bgeo.sc”.

Is there a way to force deadline to translate these expressions? It was working ok in version 10.0.23.4. Right now the tool is unusable because it basically breaks the whole pipeline…

thanks for advice.

Viktor

When you upgraded, did you install the new integrated submitter for Houdini?

yes - I installed from deadline repository submission folder, but this time I used Houdini-submitter-linux-x64-installer.run instead of manual installation
I just noticed - that it does support $variables but it cannot translate houdini scrips such as chs("../../filecache1/file") or opname("../..") - but I was using these on regular basis in version 10.0.23.4.

thanks
V

Hi any news on this? This is very frustrating bug that makes deadline impossible to implement into our pipeline. Unfortunately we cannot switch to last working version since we also updated to houdini 18.0.
Please let me know what can be done to fix this.

thanks!

Viktor

Could you share one of those logs you’re getting this error in? As far as I can tell that should be up to Houdini to translate. And are you using the Deadline ROP?

Oh, and a test scene would be fantastic for re-creation!

Hi,

Yes I am using deadline ROP. But I also tried submit via render/submit to deadline
Here is hiplc + log. Thanks!

Viktor
scene log.zip (40.6 KB)

Hi,

did you have a chance to take a look?

thanks,

V

I might not be properly re-creating this, but submitting that scene file as-is through the integrated submitter gets me:

Failed to save output to file "/mnt/projects/Active/_sandbox_/job/SHOTS/Deadline/geo/pighead/filecache1/v01/filecache1.0003.bgeo.sc"

Which is still a failure, but the warnings about opname are missing. However, using the ROP node I get the same Unable to evaluate expression (Syntax error - extra tokens detected in expression (/obj/pighead/filecache1/file)) you’re getting. I’m just working out what’s the difference in how Deadline is getting called.

Thanks for the update!

V

Hi,

any news on this?

thanks,

V

I am also facing the same issue. Any help would be highly appreciated

In my case any expression used in the file parameter is not evaluated and it defaults to an empty string.
2020-07-03 18:36:54: 0: STDOUT: Error: Failed to save output to file “”.

Thanks,
Davide

Hello,

I am wondering if there is any news regarding the above issue.
I am reporting below some extra info regarding the error.
I am also attaching a hip file smr_sc058_0000_fx_toDeadlineSupport.v001.hip.zip (138.3 KB) to reproduce the error on your side.
(I added sticky notes with the full log in the houdini scene)

In Brief:
Deadline Client Version: 10.1.6.4 Release (9b6629e46)
FranticX Client Version: 2.4.0.0 Release (6c9ff0629)

USING GEOMETRY ROP WITH EXPRESSIONS OR VARIABLES:

2020-09-16 16:52:19: 0: STDOUT: hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
2020-09-16 16:52:19: 0: STDOUT: Warning: Bad parameter reference: "../../mygeo/mycache_static/reportnetwork" in parameter /obj/ropnet_to_farm/mycache_static__georop/reportnetwork.
2020-09-16 16:52:19: 0: STDOUT: Error: Failed to save output to file "".
2020-09-16 16:52:19: 0: STDOUT: Warning: Bad parameter reference: "../../mygeo/mycache_static/tpostwrite" in parameter /obj/ropnet_to_farm/mycache_static__georop/tpostwrite.
2020-09-16 16:52:19: 0: Done executing plugin command of type 'Render Task'

USING FETCH ROP CALLING A SOP NETWORK THAT CONTAINS A SWITCH SOP (different bug ?)

[PIPE SubmitDeadlineRop.py] curNode: /obj/mygeo/mycache_static/delete_groups = group
[PIPE SubmitDeadlineRop.py] curNode: /obj/mygeo/mycache_static/delete_attributes = attribute
[PIPE SubmitDeadlineRop.py] curNode: /obj/mygeo/switch1 = switch
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “opdef:/Driver/deadline?PythonModule”, line 25, in SubmitToDeadline
File “/mnt/juno/.apl/bin/DeadlineRepository10/submission/Houdini/Main/SubmitDeadlineRop.py”, line 520, in SubmitToDeadline
dlSubmitter.submitJobs()
File “/mnt/juno/.apl/bin/DeadlineRepository10/submission/Houdini/Main/SubmitDeadlineRop.py”, line 46, in submitJobs
self.prepareNodesForSubmission()
File “/mnt/juno/.apl/bin/DeadlineRepository10/submission/Houdini/Main/SubmitDeadlineRop.py”, line 71, in prepareNodesForSubmission
self._recursive_PrepareNodesForSubmission( self.dlNode, self.dlNode, None )
File “/mnt/juno/.apl/bin/DeadlineRepository10/submission/Houdini/Main/SubmitDeadlineRop.py”, line 145, in _recursive_PrepareNodesForSubmission
curDeps.extend( self._recursive_PrepareNodesForSubmission( futureDlNode, inputNode ) )

Thanks,
Davide

Hello,

yes please any news on this - it is really frustrating bug, that basically doesn’t allow using our pipeline.

thanks!

Viktor

Also having a similar problem with expressions in output paths.

Has anyone found a work around, or is this still being worked on?

David.

Hi all, I have received some help from the staff.

[…] this might be related to output being passed through cmd instead of using the output driver.
“This is not tested so expect it to cause weird behaviors and test this when you are not in production.
Backup the file and replace the attached file with “C:\DeadlineRepository10\submission\Houdini\Main\SubmitHoudiniToDeadlineFunctions.py”
If it is the issue with how the output is being passed, then this could resolve your Error/issue 1.”

We have tested this patch in our pipeline and it is working fine.
Feel free to try it out on yours as well.

Cheers,

SubmitHoudiniToDeadlineFunctions.zip (12.1 KB)

I have the problem with Mantra, sadly it seems the file provided deals with redshift and Vray.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences