AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Hair with KC4D

C4D-Hair with Krakatoa :smiley:

This is pretty crazy given that we don’t officially support hair rendering in Krakatoa C4D :slight_smile:
We should make sure we test and support this officially, and also generate Tangents and Normals as they should be to support Marschner shading correctly, as well as animation.

Thanks for the pointer!

You’re welcome. :smiley:

But I just rechecked my setup to be 100% sure and saw, that I ‘cheated’ by chance with my results.
In fact Krakatoa seems not to support ‘real’ C4D hair currently, instead I had in Hair-Tab ‘generate’ as type ‘Flat’ active when I hit the first Krakatoa render.
So, the ‘real’ C4D-Hair is translated on the fly into a mesh-geometry by C4D before sending the data over to krakatoa.
Sorry, that I didn’t realise that first.
So, the Krakatoa Hair-shaders will propably not work with it as they should and you have to put some code-work in that issue again.
But nevermind, it’s a way to get some nice results with no effort to mimic hair the easy way.
I have here up to 50 Mio particles in 2 x 3000 ‘hair’-strings on a single machine rendered in less than a minute.
Not bad.

This is correct, Krakatoa just uses the underlying mesh to seed particles.
In KMX, we have a special object that turns curves to points and provides correct Tangents, Normals, Velocities, BirthPosition channel, a channel with the length of the hair, a channel with the distance of the particle from the root, a channel with the index of the hair curve and so on. The hair I showed in the SucketPunch demos at NAB was done with that and was quite powerful.

We currently don’t officially support Hair in Krakatoa MY and Krakatoa C4D, but it is obviously on the ToDo list.
Thanks for the workaround!

Small animation:

http://youtu.be/R9BJLAuzQUs

this would be so great! having hair tangents and use that as vel fields as it´s poosible in 3DsMax!
keep on!
fuat

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences