AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Hey Blend 2 shader using velocity problem

Hey,

I’m new user of frost, sorry to ask this question again, i still can not get the smooth blending with the help of the mapping channel. i must done something wrong, i guess.Hope i can get any help from the Pros.(I have attach a screen shot of the result i’m getting)

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

The problem is that you are using Boolean switching (black or red, depending on whether the Velocity Magnitude is below or above 0.5).
What you need though is a normalized range that goes smoothly from 0.0 to 1.0 as the Velocity Magnitude changes from some min. threshold to some max. threshold value.

For example, if you want the gradient to change from 0.0 to 1.0 as the Velocity Magnitude changes from 0.25 to 0.75, you could wire

Velocity->Magnitude->Subtract(0.25)->Divide(0.5)->Clamp(0.0|1.0)->ToVector->Mapping10

This way, if the Velocity Magnitude is below 0.25, it will produce a negative value which will then be clamped at 0.0.
If the Veloclity Magnitude is above 0.25 but below 0.75, it will produce a value between 0.0 and 0.5 after the subtraction, and the division by 0.5 will turn it into a Normalized value between 0.0 and 1.0.
If it is above 0.75, it will produce a value higher than 1.0 which will be clamped at 1.0 by the Clamp operator.
The resulting Float will be then turned into a Vector and passed to the Mapping, thus blending the two materials accordingly.

In addition, you are switching Sub-Materials between 1 and 2 when the Velocity Magnitude crosses the 0.5 threshold, so this could also contribute to a solid line in the material, but there is no way around it if you really want to use Multi-Materials…

Hey Bobo
Thanks for your reply, i really learn a lot from this. However i still can get it work, is it anything that i do wrong( i attached a image)? Thanks again for your patient to explain my doubt

What you see is caused by the Material Index switching faces between Red and Blue.
Remove that, use a single material and make it work with just the blending of the materials in ONE material.
Then figure out what you want to do with the Multi-Sub Material.

Mixing two different concepts (controlling sub-materials and blending materials) can be very confusing.

The easiest way is to select the MtlIndex node and uncheck “Enable”.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences