AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

High CPU Usage - MongoDB Database Server and Local Security Authority Process

Whenever the MongoDB is activated immediately after Deadline Repository installation, a process called Local Security Authority Process (LSAP) peaks at around 90% CPU usage, making the Database computer nearly unusable. Workers and Monitors will rarely connect to it due to timeouts.

When the MongoDB Database Server process is terminated in Task Manager, the LSAP process decreases CPU usage immediately and the computer goes back to normal.

I’ve tried installing Deadline Repository versions 10.1.18.5, 10.1.17.4 and 10.1.16.9 -same results. On the first and third versions noted, I tried installing them with a manual download of the latest MongoDB version 4.2.17 -same results. There are no Workers or Monitors running on any of the farm computers. Windows 10 Pro fully updated.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Please let me know if there is a fix, we are facing the same issue. Issue started randomly after vacation, now checking if a windows update will fix it and after that checking for new deadline version…

Hey insertmesh.

I just got this notification. Hopefully you’ve already solved it, but if not, I hope this helps.

After checking the MongoDB logs, it showed an IP of a computer on the network that was constantly trying to connect to the server and failing, due to either having an older certificate or bad credentials. That was driving the CPU usage up.

I removed the PC from the network and it solved the issue after a server restart.

I recommend you check the MongoDB logs to see if there’s a request being rejected and what it’s IP is to identify the computer. If not, I presume you could turn off all your PCs on the network then turn them on one by one, until you see a change in CPU usage.

Again, mainly check that all Deadline installs are running the same version as the server and that you’re using the correct certificates and credentials.

1 Like

This is a very big problem in our studio.

We end up shutting all machines down and restarting the server machine, and then it is all good.
It would be great If this issue was solved. It’s a big pain in the ass every time.

Hello @krishnaa

Thanks for reaching out on this thread, this issue has present itself in the past due to two possible causes.

1. One of the clients in your farm is spamming the database hence causing the DB machine CPU utilization high
  2. LSAP is detected a malware by Windows defender and Windows is blocking it hence using a lot of resources

For the rouge client machine we need to troubleshoot like below:
Open an administrative command prompt on Windows machine which is hosting the Database and run below:

netstat -p tcp -b

If you are running DB on Linux then run below:

netstat -tlp | grep mongo

Share both the outputs. Also share the DB logs form [database]/mongo/data/logs/ share the latest from here.

For the LSAP detecting DB as malware, follow here: Troubleshoot high Lsass.exe CPU usage - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

Reach out to Microsoft on the fix. I researched on the web and seems like this link has the fix in it. I think you should open a ticket to Microsoft just to be sure.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences