AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini 17.5 support

Hello, Any chance for fast and dirty H17.5 support untill proper implemented one in installer? :slight_smile:Thank you!

1 Like

quick and dirty would be to add

[Houdini17_5_Hython_Executable]
Label=Houdini 17.5 Hython Executable
Category=Render Executables
CategoryOrder=0
Type=multilinemultifilename
Index=11
Default=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.000\bin\Hython.exe;/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.0.000/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/17.5.000/Resources/bin/hython;/opt/hfs17.5/houdini/bin/hython
Description=The path to the hython executable. It can be found in the Houdini bin folder.

and

[Houdini17_5_SimTracker]
Label=Houdini 17.5 Sim Tracker File
Category=HQueue Simulation Job Options
CategoryOrder=1
Index=7
Default=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.000\houdini\python2.7libs\simtracker.py;/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.5.000/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/17.5.000/Resources/houdini/python2.7libs/simtracker.py;/opt/hfs17.5/houdini/python2.7libs/simtracker.py
Description=The path to the simtracker.py file that is used when distributing HQueue sim jobs. This file can be found in the Houdini install.

to your /repo/plugins/Houdini/Houdini.param in their respective places

(bear in mind that I haven’t actually tested that)

3 Likes

Actually, it works. I was just going to post the same thing :slight_smile: I remembered what was the method just wasn’t sure if there are other files that need to modify or only .param one.
All good, tested and working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re installing it manually, but came across a stumble with this user folder specific stuff - this prevents us from deploying it centrally, like we usually do, with Salt over Deadline. Is there a way to avoid the user folder? Looks like Houdini is insisting to have its env there, and I’ve tried to leave the user specific one empty and write in the env file with the same name in the Houdini install path, but it looks like that’s not getting parsed.

Thanks panze, you helped me get it going. one minor alteration for linux - /opt/hfs17.5/bin/hython is the location

[Houdini17_5_Hython_Executable]
Label=Houdini 17.5 Hython Executable
Category=Render Executables
CategoryOrder=0
Index=11
Default=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.5.000\bin\Hython.exe;/Applications/Houdini/Houdini17.0.000/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/17.5.000/Resources/bin/hython;/opt/hfs17.5/bin/hython
Description=The path to the hython executable. It can be found in the Houdini bin folder.

Not that I know of. We use 123.py and hescape.py to snoop if the user evn is different compared to the one we have at distributed location. If it is, it writes over the user env and asks the user to restart houdini (so that the changes take effect).

1 Like

I’m gonna bump this up. A native 17.5 integration would be great

1 Like

Plus one for Houdini 17.5 support please. This is me checking the release notes on a daily basis.

Computer-Guy

Add V-Ray Houdini to that too :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

The changes have been committed, so it should be officially released in the next service pack. I’m posting the changes here to help in the mean time, but your mileage may vary.

Just back up “[repo]/plugins/Mantra” and “[repo]/plugins/Houdini” before dropping these files into their respective homes.

Houdini.zip (2.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for this! Do we need to update Deadline in order to use this? Our studio is currently on 10.0.21.5, we are using Houdini 17.5.229 and struggling to get them to work together.

I’d prefer you were, but this should work. It’s changing the locations of where Deadline can find Houdini. Check the release notes though to see what else you’d be missing by not updating.

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.0/1_User%20Manual/manual/release-notes.html

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences