AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini husk 19.5 BYOL problem

Hello,

Since there is no Husk/Karma UBL (yet?!) I need to get BYOL or husk/karma working in the Cloud.

I setup everything like described in the docs and by searching around the forums.

Still the Cloud Workers can’t get a license from the on-prem server. There seems to be comunication between the worker and the server though since the output of “hserver --info” on the worker is different once I turn off the server on-prem.

The on-prem workers can check out a lic no-problem.

Also the PortalLink logs tell me that the ssh tunnel is setup correctly.

The sesinetd (SideFX lic-server) is running on the same machine as all the deadline-tools. This works for the asset-server no problem. I tried configurind Deadline to look at 127.0.0.1 and the actual IP of the machine but both did not work.

On the worker I run the command:
hserver -S 10.128.2.4:1715

Thanks for your replies, everything helps at this stage.

Output of the worker:

PortalLink log:

sesinetd output:

Screen Shot 26-06-2023 at 10.03

1 Like

Hi, Maybe you could look around this thread, and ask the guy who’s rendering Solaris on the Cloud? (There are Husk Submitter plugins links, too)

Also This YouTube video maybe helpful…

Fingers Crossed,

We don’t use Husk, but the principle should be the same as using e.g. BYOL for Houdini Engine.

• What does your AWS Portal → AWS Portal Settings → Advanced → Servers look like?

• Are the License Limits set up correctly?

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.2/1_User%20Manual/manual/aws-portal/byol-setup.html#aws-portal-configure-byol-ref-label

We have this working. I’m making some assumptions, but we ran into some issues where Houdini wouldn’t pick up the licenses because Deadline worker is running in a sandbox mode and env variables and such setting the license doesn’t transfer over. Best way to debug these things is to do a session remote when the instance is running and test. Things that works fine when you set up the AMI, might not work when everything is running through deadline sandbox.

I solved the issue by configuring the H licensing on bootup in the USER DATA script. If I remember correctly scripts inside the profile.d directory triggers when the user logs in. This way we also keep it dynamic in case I need to change the server.

#SET HOUDINI LICENSE SERVER
sudo touch /etc/profile.d/sesi_lic.sh
sudo echo “export SESI_LMHOST=LICENSESERVER” > /etc/profile.d/sesi.lic.sh

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences