AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini mantra standalone errors

Hi

I am setting up Houdini submission to Deadline for the first time and I am having some problems with mantra standalone jobs.

When I submit a Houdini job using mantra the ifd generation job it’s successful but the rendering job fails:

Error: Renderer returned non-zero error code , 139 .

I can successfully render the ifd from a linux shell using the exact same command deadline it’s executing.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks

Jacob

One of our SAs asked me the same question for you folks. I’m a bit stumped myself.

Usually if a program works outside of Deadline but not inside, it’s related to what the environment variables are set to. A 139 denotes a segmentation fault on Unix, which means the application tried to use memory it wasn’t allowed to. That’s most often caused by C/C++ pointers not being checked before accessing them.

Can you try testing your environment in both scenarios? Just run “/usr/bin/env” from your shell, and from the Command Line plugin then compare them to see how they’re different.

You can add or change a variable on your command line job for testing. You can also make those changes more permanent either at the OS level or using some deadline scripts.

We had Mike Owen around today. He helped us with this issue and he was able to narrow down the issue.

It was indeed related to environment variables. It’s all working now.

Thanks

Jacob

1 Like

Thanks! This might become my poster-child thread for “How to blame your environment” when something fails to work inside Deadline but works outside. :smiley:

Hi, I got the same problem here (with Renderman), could you please tell me some more detail information? The shell is from Deadline or somewhere else?
(I got error 139 but if I run a simple scene(some boxes with light) it works well through Deadline, but if I run a serious heavy scene it’s not working and keep report error 139)

hello, been a few years. have to same issue as you.
wonder if you had a fix?

a simple box with light works, but not a “heavier” scene.
The heavier scene runs and renders fine locally, but not through deadline.

Hi, sorry I cannot really remember how did I solve it, but could you try to check each elements in your scene one by one? I think something wrong with one asset or some attributes. maybe try to delete all unnecessary attributes and group.
hope this can help

would love to hear how you guys solved it

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences