AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini Submission Priority

Just wanted to point out that the Submit to Deadline submitter seems to be mixing up Mantra Export and Job Priority settings.
See my screenshot below. If I submit this job, the job is submitted with priority 60. Which seems a bit backward. Also if I untick Export Mantra Locally, the Mantra job would get priority 45, and the main job 60. Again see screenshots.
Edit: And from my own memory, I also think the pool settings from both are mixed up.

And as a side question from an impatient user; is there currently a way to get Houdini 17 working? :slight_smile:

Hey,

From a quick glance, this looks to be behaving the way I’d expect. When you export locally, you’re essentially skipping the job that would have priority 45 (the first job, the export portion), so you’re only left with the job with priority of 60 (the standalone mantra render).

When you’re not exporting locally, you have two jobs: the export within Houdini (priority 45), and the standalone mantra (priority 60). Unless I’m missing something here, that seems about right?

Houdini 17 just came out today I believe, and I’m not fully aware of all the new changes in their interfaces, IF it’s kept mostly the same it’s pretty manageable, just requires some mucking about in the plugin/submisison files to add the 17 version. Again, that’s only if their changes are compatible with our existing submitters/plugins.

Official Houdini 17 support won’t be in the next release, but it’s definitely a high priority over here.

Cheers

1 Like

Ah, hm… Guess I’m just thinking about this differently. Thinking the top section is the render job itself, and the mantra export is the generation of IFD files. Just usually the here we never touch the Mantra Export settings, local export on by default, but adjust the job settings on the top section.

Anyway, if it’s working as intended then don’t mind me :slight_smile:

Ahk, so it might just be an issue in the clarity of the submitter.

Those drop-downs can be thought of just specifying which workflow you want to perform. Whereas I totally see the confusion where one might think that the job properties under the “Mantra Export” drop-down would be performing the mantra export.

This might be something we need to brainstorm on our end, to clear up the confusion…

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I do see the thought behind it now. It might not be completely self explanatory being used to the 3dsMax submitter, but I can completely understand it’s hard to find an ideal way with the way Houdini works and many types of job you can submit through the same way.

I’m not sure if I’d be worth to consider a dropdown/tick box options at the General Options for Regular submission, (Mantra) Standalone and Simulation Jobs. Then leave IFD export etc for the sub menus.

Anyway, now that I know the logic of the current submitter I’m good with it :slight_smile:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences