AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

how to create a magma-filed based on a cloth

Hi guys,

does anybody know how to create a magam field in stoke, based on a cloth animation???
i want the particles follows the tangeant of the obj, I watched the torus field tutorial, it sounds good but one direction is missing(the author use de centroid vector tha i can’t use…)
Is there a way to achieve this with an animated cloth ? maybe whith the help of the UV coordinates?
thanks by advance

Best regards

Well, what does the cloth look like? The Torus worked because the surface is closed and can be followed about either radius, but a Sphere or a Plane would not work because the particles would have no way to go. You could of course rotate about the Equator of the Sphere, but you could not go in the orthogonal direction.

In general, you can always query the surface normal of any mesh, and use some other vector (e.g. an Up vector, or, if the Surface Normal coincides with the Up Vector, some other vector like the X or the Y) to calculate the Normalized VectorCross product of the Normal and the selected vector as the Tangent, and the Normalized VectorCross product of the Normal and the Tangent as the Binormal, if you need all 3. Alternatively, you could find the closest point on the surface, query the UV coordinates and use the U or the V as a surface direction as you suggested.

Show some screenshots of what you are trying to achieve, and we can discuss again.

thanks a lot Bobo!
i gone try with the texture coordinate as you said, actually i can’t post some screen during the production…
i will let you know if it works properly
thanks again

cheers

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences