AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

How to pass the Nuke [value root.name] variable to the slave?

Currently the slave node nuke *.nk script seems to think the line “[value root.name]” points to a path on the slave. e.g. /Thinkbox/Deadline10/slave/foo_slave_node_name/foo.nk

But need “[value root.name]” to equal the location of the original nuke *.nk script.
e.g. /server/project/shot/seq/script/foo.nk

Any work around?

Found a solution to my problems by not using the “root.name” variable.

Slaves probably overwriting this variable for each *.nk file instance. I didn’t have time to try Disabling Nuke Plugin mapping option which could also be a work around.

It’s because the file that they’re rendering is copied first to the repo and then from the repo onto their local drive before being opened. As such, the root.name isn’t in the same place as it was when you submitted it. It sounds like you’ve found a solution, but this is a common problem with all relative directory things. An alternative approach would be to save a version of the file that you submit and uncheck “Submit Nuke File with Job” - this’ll cause the nodes to load the file from the location you submit it from. Bear in mind this will add a hit to I/O on the server, as well as being a problem if the slaves can’t access that server. However it will ensure that any relative values work correctly.

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences