AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Installing Deadline on Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon?

Hi there,
I am trying to use Deadline on a single machine running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, using License Free Mode to test the product and manage Houdini simulations and Redshift renders locally…
…however I can’t get past the repository installation stage.
When I try to download MongoDB using the installer it fails and says I need to manually download the MongoDB package, so I went to download the package from the website but there isn’t a version for Linux Mint, so I downloaded the current version 4.0.10 for Ubuntu 18.04 figuring it is the closest thing to Linux Mint 19, but when I point the Deadline Repository installer to that .tgz pacakge, it seesms to get past some install sections but then errors when it gets to the part about listening to the MongoDB, then I get an error like this: “There was a problem installing the MongoDB server on this machine. You may need to install MongoDB manually before continuing with this installation.”
So… I tried manually installing MongoDB from the shell using the instruction son the web page then I just got completely confused about how to even begin setting it up…
So before I try to delve into it further, am I wasting my time trying to get Deadline working on Linux Mint??
As should be obvious from this post I am a Linux beginner and find most things in Linux fairly confusing as soon as I have to go “off script” in installing software so I have very little confidence in being able to figure this out myself.
If anyone has any advice in how I can get it up and running that would be amazing, as I LOVE using Houdini in Linux Mint, it’s just such a nicer experience than Windows, and I really don’t want to go back to using Windows for my freelance work.

Thanks!
-Mark

Hi, i have it running on Linux Mint 19.1 and it works. I also run in on Google Cloud on Ubuntu 18.04 and it works.
But i have to say in both cases what you wrote is true. I was not able to use official deadline installer to install it and had to do all manualy.

Install mongo-db manully via :

sudo apt install -y mongodb

then check if it`s running :

sudo systemctl status mongodb

If all works, you should be able to install deadline then and deadline will just add its database. Just make sure your mongo db port and and port you port you trying to install on are the same…

If you need to adjust the port or ip of the mongodb :

sudo nano /etc/mongodb.conf

good luck :slight_smile:

Wow thanks psanitra that seems to have worked!

I had to adjust a few more permissions on certain folders like the ~/Thinkbox/Deadline10/cache/ folder but now I can get the monitor up and running, just need to try submitting some renders and sims to confirm it’s all working.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:
-Mark

Anyway you could walk me through how you got it working @mchataway? I’m on Mint 19.3 and having issues getting the database setup. I’m running into the same issues you are.

Hi Joseph,
I’m now running Arch Linux which uses a different package manager, but as far as I can remember for Mint (which is Ubuntu based) I had to do the following:

-Before installing the Deadline Respository, make sure mongodb is up and running, by first installing it from the official Ubuntu/Mint repositories:

sudo apt install -y mongodb

Once installed configure the port and hostname by editing /etc/mongodb.conf

sudo nano /etc/mongodb.conf

Under the # network interfaces section, make sure the port is set to 27100, and the bindIp is set to 127.0.1.1
Save the file then check mongodb service is running:

sudo systemctl status mongodb

If it isn’t running, enable and start the service:

sudo systemctl enable mongodb
sudo systemctl start mongodb

You only have to run thos commands once, then it should automatically start every time you boot the computer going forward.
Now the service should be started and you can install the Deadline repository.
Make sure at the mongodb section you select that monogdb is already installed, and make sure the port and host/ip are set to match the config file you edited above.

Let us know how you go!

4 Likes
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences