AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Latest OpenVDB support in Stoke

With the new version of FFX, it writes out OpenVDB but only supports the latest version currently out (don’t know what version it is). I asked if they could support older versions as well, but they said no. So at the moment FFX VDB is not compatible with StokeMX. Actually much of the new FFX is not supported in Stoke, and I’ve brought this up to them. Everything pretty much crashes when picking new FFX in Stoke, including Field Loader, or Krakatoa’s PRT FFX.

Thank you for your report! We will look into this.

Is this urgent for you?

Edit: If you get a chance, could you please send us a sample OpenVDB file that you cannot open using Stoke? You can send us files by using our ticket system. You may need to ZIP the file to get it through.

Hi guys sorry to hijack the thread.

Is there support for .f3d files in stoke? We are currently simming fumefx with f3d’s because we are rendering the new vray volume grid.
I can pick the fumefx grid fine but Can’t get any velocities to read.

@Tobbe
Is the new fumefx out Tobbe? I assume you are reffering to 4.0?

If Fumefx is going to drop f3d’s then I guess there is no point in supporting them. But it would be nice right now for our current workflow. :slight_smile:

There is F3D support in Stoke, but FumeFX defaults to custom compression which we don’t support. I am not sure if the F3D files would load in Stoke if you disable the compression option in FumeFX - might be worth a try.

W are using gzip compression with no go. I’ll try without it and report back. Thanks!

Edit: There is no option to save without compression. Ohwell. Back to fxd’s for now.

Forgot to subscribe to the thread again! Sorry for the late reply. This is fairly urgent for me (like 1-2 weeks urgent). I’ve attached the OpenVDB file that FFX writes out. It works with Vray’s Volume Grid, does not work in Houdini 13 but works in Houdini 15. I showed the logs to Sitni Sati, they say it’s because they only support the latest version of OpenVDB. My opinion on this matter aside, it leaves me bugging you to hopefully release a version of Stoke that supports the latest OpenVDB.

OpenVDB file written out from FFX attached. (PS. Fire, Temperature, Velocity channels are the ones saved, no smoke).

Edit: I submitted a ticket like you requested.
FumeFX-Fire-SimSharpen_0014.zip (8.63 MB)

Go into preferences and use Gzip compression. That works. But it doesn’t work with adaptive grid which slows down your sims a lot (at least not in my build).

Thanks! We should be able to get you an updated build in that time.

Awesome, great to hear :slight_smile:. I’m a huge fan of Stoke, it’s a game changer for Max TDs and more people need to find out. A lot of people I talk to still confuse Stoke 2 for Stoke 1 which “only” had the particle emitter using any fields. Stoke 2 is so much more than that.

Getting back to the subject: Is fume fx 4.0.0 and Stoke MX problem resolved yet? Indeed two of them don’t work at all, so I had a surprise today. Reverting back to earlier ffx version… :slight_smile:

Not yet, but we should have an updated build for you next week.

Topic was latest OpenVDB support in Stoke and that has been fixed in the latest build of Stoke, and it works great. So you can do pretty much everything if you write out to OpenVDB in FFX4 and use that with the latest version of Stoke.

But yeah, FFX4 FXD support isn’t in yet and I am waiting for that too.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences