AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Linux Pulse logging to both /var/log/messages and it's own log files

We’re running the repository and pulse on a linux box and everything is running great except pulse is currently logging thousands of lines of useless info to both the system /var/log/messages as well as it’s own logs in /var/log/Thinkbox/Deadline10.

This is redundant and makes using the actual messages nearly impossible for system related usage since Deadline has basically taken it over.

Is there a way to disable the logging to the /var/log/messages on Linux?

I’ve managed to use rsyslog filters to discard the log messages before they are written to messages, but not in a way that I’m really happy with.

Unfortunately all the Pulse log lines are logged as from bash[PID] instead of dealinepulse[PID], so I was forced to use:

:programname, isequal, "bash" stop

to discard all messages from bash.

The /var/lib/messages are the system logs written by the server for all the process activity. I believe we make a internal runbook on this so can address it. Can you post the fix you did for ignoring bash messages here on the thread.

I made another post after my first one

but I added :programname, isequal, "bash" stop to the top of /etc/rsyslog.conf

It would be nice if there was some way of disabling the logging to message since it’s already being logged to it’s own log files. It just clutters up the messages and makes it very difficult to use for other system related information… Or some way of tagging the messages so they can be discarded using :msg, contains without completely discarding anything from bash.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences