AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Loading Deadline Maya Submitter from Network

I’m having some trouble trying to get Deadlines Maya submission script loaded on workstations from the network to test something. I have followed these docs:

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/9.0/1_User%20Manual/manual/app-maya.html#app-maya-integrated-submission-script-label

Copying the DeadlineMayaClient.mel and userSetup.mel to the local users documents scripts path works perfectly fine. Submission windows loads etc.

When I try dropping the DeadlineMayaClient.mel to a network path, and appending ‘source “DeadlineMayaClient.mel”;’ to our in house userSetup.mel:

The Deadline Shelf loads with the submission button .png image
But when I try launching the submitter I am getting
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure “SubmitJobToDeadline”.

Is there something really silly I am overlooking here?
Our userSetup.mel is also being loaded from the network via a MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH line in our maya.env I believe, and needs to stay in tact for some other tools/menus/shelves.

Another side note, I am looking to integrate the " Submit Render Layers As Separate Jobs" checkbox into our current submitter and or refactor/write a new default submitter. What would be the best approach to achieve this?

Thanks!

The chain of commands goes like this:

• Maya is supposed to load the file DeadlineMayaClient.mel which defines the function DeadlineMayaClient().
  • The userSetup.mel calls DeadlineMayaClient() which triggers the resolving of the Deadline Repository via the a deadlineCommand call, and then sources the actual submitter script SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel from the Repository so it is always the latest version.
  • Pressing the shelf button simply calls the function SubmitJobToDeadline which is defined in the above-mentioned submitter.

Somewhere along those steps, something does not get called and thus the file SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel never gets loaded, and the function SubmitJobToDeadline() remains undefined.

I would suggest checking that your call ‘source “DeadlineMayaClient.mel”;’ is actually executed properly (some debug prints maybe?).
There is already a print call in the function DeadlineMayaClient():

global proc DeadlineMayaClient()
{
	string $scriptPath = GetRepoFilePath();
	print("Running submission script \"" + $scriptPath + "\"\n"); 
	// Run the submission script, to install the SubmitJobToDeadline() function
	if( `filetest -f $scriptPath` )
		eval( "source \"" + $scriptPath + "\";" );
	else
		warning( "The SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel script could not be found in the Deadline Repository. Please make sure that the Deadline Client has been installed on this machine, that the Deadline Client bin folder is set in the DEADLINE_PATH environment variable, and that the Deadline Client has been configured to point to a valid Repository." );
}

Do you see the “Running submission script…” line being printed?

Thanks a bunch for the response Bobo!
When i drop the DeadlineMayaClient.mel and deadlines ‘usersetup.mel’ locally to:
[My Documents]/maya/scripts

I do see the “Running submission script…” line being printed and then resolving our repos UNC path to the SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel

However the local usersetup.mel then takes maya prescedence and all our custom stuff in our network usersetup.mel thus does not get loaded.

But I think i really overlooked this now that you explained everything.
I now have the submitter loading from the network across multiple workstations by just adding the same line from deadlines usersetup.mel to ours thats already on the network and being sourced by workstations maya env. I dropped DeadlineMayaClient.mel in the same spot as our usersetup and it seems happy.

Could you perhaps explain some of the logic to my other question?
About adding the checkbox of " Submit Render Layers As Separate Jobs " to our default artists submitter we are trying to refactor? A CG Sup really likes this feature of the Deadline Submitter and would like us to implement it into ours. Deadlines submitter is great just want to streamline things moreso into the current pipeline for render paths etc.

Thank you!

I had the same problem, maya could not load the deadline submission script, it gave me this error:

The SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel script could not be found in the Deadline Repository. Please make sure that the Deadline Client has been installed on this machine, that the Deadline Client bin folder is set in the DEADLINE_PATH environment variable, and that the Deadline Client has been configured to point to a valid Repository.

It turned out I had copied manually our previous submission script in the folder of our new Deadline submission folder (I re-installed Deadline) and the permissions were wrong.

The DEADLINE_PATH was correctly configured in the environment variables and in the .ini files of the program data folder, which was the first thing to make sure. I reinstalled the client a few times as well to refresh the install, with no success.

In our case the solution was to reset the permissions of the SubmitMayaToDeadline.mel in the repository on the network, maya and the other users had no access permission on it.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences