AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

macOS Mojave Support

Hello,

I’ve had a user who upgraded his local machine to macOS Mojave report that there are some serious issues (ie can’t use the applications). I’m assuming that there needs to be an update pushed out with support for the new OS?

Reported errors:

1. OSX /Library/Logs/Thinkbox folder missing
  2. The application “DeadlineClient-10.0.20.2-osx-installer” can’t be opened.
    2a) There is no option in Security pane to open the installer anyways.

Cheers,
Mike

What is the error you’re getting from macOS when you run the installer? There should be a “bitrock*” text log in “/tmp” for the user that ran it and hopefully it’ll give us an idea. If you can scrub it of private data and post it here I’d appreciate it.

If the installer is claiming to be corrupted, can you try downloading again? We were going to resign the installers again and it may be that the signing key for previous downloads is no longer valid.

Hi Ed,

So I was able to get it to work, but there was a bit of brute forcing it. Using the current installer I dropped into a root shell and cd’ed into the MacOS folder of the package. I then added executable permissions to the osx-intel file and ran it as root. Everything worked fine then. Otherwise trying to launch the installer would result in a Mac report saying the installer was not valid or a permission issue when running from the CLI.

The Monitor and Launcher seem to be running fine, no issues yet.

The GUI for the installer was a bit weird in terms of scaling, it seemed like it was downscaled heavily on a Retina display. I’ve attached the bitrock log as well, which was created this time around. It might just be a signing issue like you said.

Cheers,
Mike

bitrock.tar (430 KB)

Hello,

I ran a session a few days ago to get more users up and running on the farm and ran into this issue again. However, it appears to also affect users on macOS High Sierra (10.13). If I’m remembering correctly, the users were on 10.13.5+.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the poke on this. I still need to hunt down someone with 10.13 here to give it a try. I’m sure we’d have seen this, I just need to find who would have seen it. :slight_smile:

Also, I don’t see any issues from the installer log you’ve sent. I assume that’s from where it installed well.

Update: We tested on a macOS 10.13.6 machine and other than some fuzziness on the UI it installed without much trouble. It did warn that it was downloaded from the Internet as a Mac do, but that was all.

Interesting, for my users the installer wasn’t even allowing them to launch. Nothing was showing up in the Security preferences either. This may be due to how I package things for them, now that I think about it. Since I don’t want to upload over a gig of data (total for all three OS’s) and then make the users sit there waiting for 2/3 installers they don’t need, I usually extract the client installers from the main download and upload that for them. On Windows and Linux this works fine as they are their own binary executables. For macOS, however, I have to extract the app using p7z (Linux workstation) and then tar or zip the .app folder for them. If you try doing that on a machine you might run into the issue I am.

And yes, the log was from the successful install. A log file wasn’t being generated before that point.

Cheers,
Mike

Hmm. I bet it’s the permissions inside the .app folder changing somehow.

What might be a better test is to run this on one of the Macs that you’ve copied the folder to:

cd /path/to/installer.app
ls -la > permissions.txt
open .

Then just stuff that up here. Usually, app developers distribute the files in dmg files to abstract away permissions challenges. That said, we ship raw .app folders for the integrated submission scripts in the Repository and I’m not sure how that’s managed to survive reliably.

I wonder if an easier workflow for you would be to make a copy of the installer dmg and then delete the Repo installer out of it. I don’t have easy access to a Mac, so I haven’t tested if our disk images are read-only.

Was just searching around for a relative issue to the one I’m having.

I’m currently on the macOS Catalina beta, (10.15 beta 6) and the installer just won’t work.

The only error I’m getting is ‘Bad CPU type in executable’

Happy to help test if you need to do a remote session or something.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences