AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Mantra Standalone on AWS

I’m having a problem rendering IFD’s on AWS. Is this something that should work? The problem looks like the path-mapping in that the output paths don’t get converted to the new path on the S3 bucket. I tried with an ascii export of the IFDs but the log shows that it can’t create the output directory, which is the same as my local network and not the one on S3.

I can render with houdini engine on AWS but IFDs are way more efficient, in some cases a few minutes faster.

Thanks!

@thinkbox So IFD’s can’t render on AWS using AWSPortal? Seems a waste of time to start a support ticket for a simple yes or no answer.
Thanks

I tend to put a ticket and post up here, Is the issue with the way the path is being mapped? can you create the directory before it renders there and does that work?

I put a ticket in - just seems silly. The path mapping doesn’t work for the conversion from my local file share to AWS’s S3. So for example: /mnt/jobs/job5000 should become something like /data/mntjobs23894789237/job5000 when it gets transferred to S3. Works fine for other rendering but not for IFD’s and my guess is that it can’t pick out the render path / input path to translate.

have you tried (are you using?) absolute paths which get passed over to IFD?

if it’s set to $HIP/$JOB/outputfolder/test.exr or /mnt/jobs/job5000 does it make a difference?

Do you do the export via Deadline (locally or elsewhere) or just do it within Houdini and submit from the monitor?

It reads my relative paths as absolutes, I think the ifd translates that into absolute paths in the process? Everything is set to $HIP as the AWSPortal transfer has never worked for anything outside of HIP for me so I don’t bother. I have tried them locally via Deadline, locally, and on the farm. All three of those exports work fine but just won’t work on AWS. I’ve tried binary and ascii geometry exports, inline and not.

I’ll post back when my ticket gets resolved.
Thanks!

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences