AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Many Windows clients have suddenly stopped working and throw a generic "System.Exception" on the Main methods? And cannot be reinstalled

This is incredibly frustrating. Our system is setup as follows:

We use a remote connection server for the clients to connect to. The server is given a static address 10.50.20.11, it has the repository mounted locally, and connects to an independent MongoDB database at 10.50.41.11. The server is running Ubuntu server 20.04.3 LTS.

As for security the server uses a self-signed cert that is password protected. The server also runs the secrets program.

This in general has been working fine. We installed it on several different Windows machines, and it worked just fine, they all appeared in Deadline Monitor.

But then suddenly the other day, 80-90% of them stopped working? When you launch any of the Deadline programs, either nothing happens, or sometimes the launcher exe process will appear in task manager. Normally it only appears in task manager for < 0.5 seconds

I can’t figure out why this happened on some machines and not others. I checked Windows build numbers and couldn’t figure out much. Working fine on one 19044, not on another 19044.

No recent logs I can find anywhere, not sure where the best place to look would even be?

When trying to run any of the Deadline programs I get nothing or errors:

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlinecommand.exe Version
v10.1.21.4 Release (690edd3fe)

Works just fine. But on one of the broken machines:

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlinecommand.exe Version
Unhandled exception. System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
   at DeadlineCommand.DeadlineCommandAppStartup.Main(String[] args)

Similarly most programs just error out:

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadline.exe
Unhandled exception. System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
   at a.Main(String[] args)

Others don’t error, but also don’t do anything:

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlinelauncher.exe
PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlineworker.exe
PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlinelauncher.exe
PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> .\deadlineworker.exe

By the way I can run the dpython.exe on both working and broken systems. Haven’t tested it extensively, but if I ask it for a list of modules, the list is identical on both.

I don’t know what Deadline is written in? Framework? Mono? .NET 5/6? Core? Etc.

Whatever it’s written in, does someone know a way to generate a proper verbose error rather than this general exception?

This is almost the end of this report. But one last interesting thing for you. If I go onto a “broken” system and uninstall Deadline, (delete everything in Program Files, ProgramData, AppData, etc. or don’t bother doing this, doesn’t seem to make a difference is my point). Then it goes through all the settings, I select client to an RCS, type in the IP of the server, select the TLS key and password, etc etc). But then at the very end of the installation it crashes with the following error:

Backup Imgur link

Or for a lovely transcription:

There has been an error.
Error running C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10/bin/deadlinecommand.exe -py-ver 2 PopulatePythonSync "C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10/pythonsync.zip"
: Unhandled exception. System.Exception: Exception of type ‘System.Exception’ was thrown.
at
DeadlineCommand.DeadlineCommandAppStartup.Main(String[] args)
The application will exit now.

So I can’t even just reinstall this back onto those systems that are broken.

Please I really need help here. We really need to use this software desperately. If anyone would like to add me on Discord to help diagnose and fix this, my Discord is levihb#7959.

I’ve not fully read this but if any of this is 10.1.22.4 you’ll need to uninstall, clean out those appdata / localuserdata folders and reinstall anything other than 22.4

1 Like

Oh my god. Thank you so much! You really don’t understand how amazing you are.

This seems to be the issue. Some machines were automatically updated to 10.2.22.4::

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> (Get-Item .\deadline.dll).VersionInfo.FileVersionRaw

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
10     1      22     4

And all of the machines that worked? Well:

PS C:\Program Files\Thinkbox\Deadline10\bin> (Get-Item .\deadline.dll).VersionInfo.FileVersionRaw

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
10     1      21     4

What are you suggesting? That we stay on `21.41? Or that we upgrade past 22, e.g. to 23.6?

Has this been fixed in all post-22 versions?

Again thank you soooo much for this!

1 Like

It’s bizarre, I had a client with this issue that morning, we couldn’t figure out the issue, turns out they’d grabbed the 10.1.22.4 installer earlier, then at some point upgraded the rendernodes before a deployment. the submission machines and repo were on the earlier version so it didn’t click to verify the version number!

When I saw that error it looked familiar, so I didn’t read the post too much, glad it helped.

Everybody has to login to Amazon so there should be a way to track everyone and inform them of this issue, because I’ve seen a few places caught out by this.

22.5 and 23.6 work fine, I think there was just 22.4 that had this issue. I initially got around it by replacing the .dll’s for the parts in use.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences